Dropped Macbook Pro 13" :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cgbspur21, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Cgbspur21 macrumors member

Ok, today I dropped my Macbook Pro (because the school will not allow backpacks). I called Apple and was told it would be $450 to fix! :eek: The screen is totally functional, and the only damage done was a bit of bending on the left side of the lid. Any suggestions?? Trip to the Apple Store maybe?! Thanks in advance!

~Cgbspur21~

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What good is a trip to the Apple Store going to do you? Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage. If the machine is still functioning you might as well just ignore it.

3. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

I dropped mine and was trying to repair it but the quote for fixing is about the same as you mentioned. Being broke I can't do a thing about it. Then after a week or two I don't feel like paying attention to that dent anymore =D

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i suggest using a blowtorch to heat the aluminum then use a pair of pliers to finish the job OR you can just ignore the dent :p

(Sorry for the sarcasm, trying to lighten up the mood ^^)

6. Swain macrumors member

7. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'd live with the dent as long as the monitor is fully functional. In a few years when you upgrade to the new MacBook Pro, you'll be thankful you didn't blow $450 on a dent.

You'd probably take less of a loss selling it dented to another person and using that money to buy a new one.

8. deafgoose macrumors regular

deafgoose

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Fixed that for you there.

10. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I think the people belittling the issue as a minor dent are idiots. Aesthetics is one of the major things the Macbook has going for it.

If I spend $1000+ on a computer, I certainly wouldn't want it deformed.

But then again, it depends on how big the dent is and your tolerance for aesthetic imperfections.

----------

Careless or not, accidents happen.

Speaking of ... So if AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage. What does it cover? Why would people just buy an extended warranty? Lol?

11. zaxdude macrumors regular

I am actually considering SquareTrade for the warranty on my recent MBP 15" purchase. I can get a 3-year, $1700 coverage limit with accidental damage protection (includes spills & drops) for $280. For $260, I can get a $1500 coverage limit.

12. Nice macrumors regular

Nice

sorry for off topic, but WTF? your school does not allow backpacks? where do you go to school, north korea? :/

13. Risasi macrumors 6502

I'll hold off judgment until we hear more on why he dropped it, does he also need to carry other book, misc, etc.

And yeah, backpacks not allowed. What is this under the guise of security from weapons or something?

----

As to the matter at hand:

Used a guitar capo with soft rubber ends to bend it back

I did this on a new macbook pro (13") and made the mistake of bending the corner back with a pair of needle nose pliers which scratched the aluminum before I could get it back into shape. Then I dropped it AGAIN on the other corner and bent both sides back without dismantling with a Kyser KG12B guitar capo (runs maybe $12) which is designed to not scratch guitars. It's not perfect like it was but I'm over it and now closes without scraping the bottom case. I also purchased a black speck snap-on case and it looks great.

Disclaimer: If you go this route be very gentle when shaping the top case as not to put any stress on your screen or you'll turn a little problem into a big problem.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/7515/How+to+repair+a+bent+corner+of+the+aluminum+lid

Do at your own risk...

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Live with the scars, or pay Apple to fix the cosmetics, only other option is a third party which may be a little on pricing. Personally I would live with it as once you finish school you will be looking to upgrade

15. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

ahahahahahahah.

My middle school didn't allow backpacks outside of the lockers; we had to carry our books. Then again, neither that nor my high school allowed trenchcoats...

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Because people want extended coverage for technical failures? What did you think applecare does? Accidental damage, loss and theft is usually covered by home/renters insurance.

Also, for most people here, the aesthetics are secondary as long as the machine works. Not sure who is the idiot here!

For the OP: I think apple has fixed rates for those repairs (and maybe they tell you that they will check the whole laptop for other damage from the fall). I would try an authorized service center, they might be able to fix it for less.

17. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Shouldnt have your own laptop in middle/high school anyway.

18. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Really...?

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

It covers things like components failing and what not

20. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Yep...it doesn't cover owner/operator fail.

21. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i used mine daily in high school... then again i didn't have an MBP then.