Dropped Macbook Pro- Bent Superdrive/Casing Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mongoose8p, Dec 20, 2007.

1. mongoose8p macrumors regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My Macbook Pro slipped off my legs and fell onto a carpeted floor today. The Superdrive looks bent along with the casing. I have applecare and want to take it to the store later. I'm wondering what the chances are that they will replace this for free and what I should be expecting to pay. Thanks! Ugh I'm so sad...

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

0 chances for free.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Apple is not going to fix impact damage. You might try to take the case apart and bend the aluminum back into place (it will not look perfect) or replace the lower case (try ebay).

4. geissap macrumors member

Keep in mind replacing the bottom case is one of the toughest repairs you can do on a Macbook Pro. EVERYTHING is attached to the bottom case and has to come out pretty much.

Honestly I'd pop the top case off. Take out the super drive and bend that **** back into place using a pliers...just wrap the pliers in a soft cloth so you don't cause more damage. Bend it back as good as you can and you'll be good.

I believe apple has 4 tiers of pricing for accidental damage. That'd be tier 2 if the optical drive still works which will cost ya around 400-500 bucks. This is a slight guess but probably pretty accurate.

5. jjnice628 macrumors newbie

"I believe apple has 4 tiers of pricing for accidental damage. That'd be tier 2 if the optical drive still works which will cost ya around 400-500 bucks. This is a slight guess but probably pretty accurate."

i agree, same situation with me. I use my mbp regularly for school. It got bent from the books in my backpack, and bent right under the superdrive. I called apple and no help to keep it short, i found a website and for the drive and the bottom case it was 520 dollars? pretty expensive. but what can you do? 0_o......

6. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

7. macbookproFTW! macrumors newbie

Mine Looks the Same

I just picked my computer up from the apple store after waiting 24 days for them to get a new top case and bottom case cause the cd drive was bent down from pressure but now it looks exactly like this and they claim they wont fix it because it was "dropped" when i took in the first time even though i have never dropped my laptop. Anyone know what i can do about this all i want is my cases replaced cause the new topcase they installed is faulty too.

dont ya just love lieing aasp's

8. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

sorry for bringing up old thread mods.

op, did you ever fix it?
    i just replaced my hdd and accidentally bent the case around the super drive. i tried prying on it a little but couldn't really get it, actually not at all.