Dropped MacBook Pro - repair myself or pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shiryu, Nov 17, 2008.

1. shiryu macrumors newbie

Hi all, unfortunately i just dropped my macbook pro (previous gen) about a 3ft drop and it seems one of the latch is broken and the corner where the CD slot is bent... so i can't put in any CDs.

So i need some advice on repair.

Should i...

1. Go to the Apple Store?
    2. Buy a new bottom case myself and attempt to take the computer apart and repair it myself? (has anyone done this before? any experiences?
    3. Go to www.macservice.com, they seem to have decent prices and quick turn around time. (anyone has experience with them before?)

Or does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks much for your replies in advance... i am so bummed right now... just hoping to get this fixed ASAP.

:(

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Sorry dude that sucks... you should think about a hard shell... anyway, it is not an easy job to replace the bottom part of the chassis, this is the part that holds ALL the components, logicboard, HD etc. I have swapped logic boards in this machine a few times, but I am a computer tech and it is NOT an easy job. There are lots of small wires connected to the logicboard and if you are not careful, you will make things worse. I suggest to have the pro's do it for you, Apple would be my recommendation but I know they will be expensive. Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

4. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Apple is the best, but their the most expensive.

If you feel comfortable sitting at a desk for hours taking apart the entire computer to replace the bottom case, then do it! It'll save a bunch of money but be sure to write/tape down which screw goes where. There are lots of different sizes and it's gets confusing when you put it back together.

If you want, I can also do it for you...I've did that on a 12" PB (in my eye the most difficult) successfully, but I can't guarantee anything of course.

Does it turn on and run ok etc?

5. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Do you have any pictures?

6. craigsharp macrumors regular

Next time buy from Best Buy and get their service plan, they cover spills and drops, I know this because my daughter knocked mine off my desk and cracked it up pretty bad and messed up the hinge pretty good, they ended up replacing it with a newer model of my macbook, I had the late 07 and replaced it with a feb 08 model about 3 months ago.

7. shiryu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for your feedback.

The computer still works great, just cosmetic issues...
    I got a quote with MACSERVICE.com for 340 (the case) + 95 for the latch.

I have a appointment with the genius bar later to see how much Apple is going to charge me for it... yikes..

8. shiryu thread starter macrumors newbie

APPLE quoted me $610 plus tax... wow...
    decisions decisions...

9. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Best Buy Shill

This sounds like a shill for Best Buy. I wish they would follow in the foot steps of Circuit City.

Their low prices do not offset against the poor image they have projected onto the consumer tech industry, IMO.

10. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

If it were me, I'd buy the replacement case parts and do it myself using the ifixit guides and the right screwdrivers.

Things to remember if you go this route.
    1) Static - remember to discharge
    2) Stay organized - I got 6 shot glasses for the 6 different screw types and labeled them last time I took my MBP apart, and I worked on a large table and laid the components out in a row, in the order I removed them.
    3) Go slow, don't force anything, use the right tools (you'll spend $15 here), and follow the guides to the letter.