Dropped Macbook Pro - verify integrity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Link00seven, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Link00seven macrumors regular

Hi all,

I had my Santa Rosa Macbook Pro in an Incase case which was inside my backpack. The computer was completely off at the time. It dropped about 5 ft onto a hard floor when my backpack slipped out of my hands. There is a dent now on the lower casing (left side, by the power cord). The machine boots up and everything seems to be working okay (I have to admit though - hard drive activity seems to be slower then it was before, but maybe I'm imagining it being nervous?). I was just wondering:

A: What tests can I run to verify that all my hardware is okay? (more specifically, the hard drive, since thats the only real "moving part").

B: I have Applecare on this machine - any chance they'd cover this? I doubt it - so if I wanted to get this fixed how much would it cost?

C: Anything else I should do to make sure everythings okay?

Thanks.

2. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Isn't there an "apple hardware test" cd/software?

Edit: I think it's on the OS X install disk. Link.

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

4. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to go ahead and run the hardware diagnostics after I post this (finally got home). I'll attach the pictures (sorry about the quality I took them on my iPhone camera...).

I got a quote for $330 from a local shop to fix it...part of me is tempted to just leave it alone but not only am I worried something might be wrong (though it doesn't seem like it is right now) - since I have AppleCare, if something else goes wrong later (say, graphics card fails again), will Apple go "NOPE YOU DROPPED YOUR COMPUTER ITS NOT COVERED!" even though the drop would've had nothing to do with it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

With damage that noticeable, Apple will almost definitely deny any future warranty claims.

6. TheMarc macrumors member

Well, OP, I'm thinking if you have it fixed, Apple will also deny future claims, since they will most likely be able to see you had it fixed, and presume the damage could be more than what is visible. However, if you take it directly to them (Apple store), maybe they can fix it, or at least recognise that what happened should not have affected something else that might be covered if it eventually breaks (and maybe can make a mention in your computer's "warranty file" -if such a thing exists :confused: -would make sense to me). Basically, don't try to "hide" it. Go see them and ask what they think.

7. 21st100 macrumors newbie

Do you own a blow torch/welder or even a hammer.
    I suggest you get it repaired, even if you are looking to get a new MBP in the near future you can get a half decent price for the current one if you are going to sell it, it is pretty old tech though.
    It would be like selling a written off, re birthed car... shonky :D

8. chopper dave macrumors regular

I had damage similar to that on a MBA and apple refused to do any repairs on any part near it. This means I don't get the screen hinge fixed (common defect) and can't complain about overheating. The only thing they said they could still cover is the keyboard/trackpad.

9. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the posts guys. I ran a hardware test and it didn't report any problems - and as I use the computer I am not noticing any issues. I don't know what I am going to do at this point - I might just leave it alone. I might take TheMarc's advice and see what Apple says about it.

If everything is working fine, I guess I could just leave it be, or choose to get it fixed down the road if I ever want to sell this machine. The Applecare only has a year left on it anyway - if nothing was to happen during that year then it becomes a moot point except for resell value (since I'd have to pay for repairs regardless).

What would Apple themselves charge for a repair like this? Are there any instances of them examining it and seeing that the drop didn't cause additional damage so if something does happen during the rest of my warranty period it could be covered? I somehow doubt it - but it might be worth a shot.

10. PAC88 macrumors 6502

sorry to hear about that.. If it is working fine right now, make sure everything is backed up in a safe place. the hard drive is what I'd be the most worried about if everything else is running smooth and not making strange sounds.

also.. If it's functioning properly and the case is the only thing wrong, I wouldn't even try to have anything repaired on it. it's probably best to leave it alone because it might be perfectly fine on the inside.. and having someone open it up to replace the case might just cause different problems.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

why not just order the parts and replace them yourself if you are capable? Then apple cannot deny any future claim for warranty. Simply order the parts online or from an apple certified repair center rather than dealing with an apple store or customer service.