dropped macbook! wont startup, need help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lizbowman84, Jan 6, 2010.

1. lizbowman84 macrumors newbie

I am the world's biggest klutz! I dropped my boyfriends macbook (g4 I think) and now it wont start up. It's stuck on the grey screen with the apple symbol and the twirly loading up image. I don't know much about computers but I can guess that this looks very bad. Is there anything I can do to try and fix it? Please help!? Thank you!

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Perhaps look on ebay for a replacement? Does he know? In all seriousness though I think you damaged the hard drive.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Boot from system DVD and run Disk Utility. Can check HD that way. New HD cheaper than new computer.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Most likely a toasted hard drive...

Also, if the computer says "MacBook" under the screen, it's not a G4 chip...that would be an iBook or a PowerBook. The MacBook if really old is a Core Duo and if newer Core 2 Duo...this is important when it comes to HDD replacement as the MacBooks are very simple to change out the HDD whereas an iBook is quite difficult.

5. maeglutz macrumors member

This probably won't work, but in the past when I've dropped my macbook and it wouldn't start, I removed the ram and then put them back in. Magically it restarted

6. a8ball macrumors newbie

Yes I would try re-seating the memory and hard drive and maybe you will get lucky but if the laptop was on when it dropped there is a good chance its hard drive damage.