Dropped MBP 13 and now hard drive paritions are gone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hyp.spec, Apr 8, 2011.

1. hyp.spec macrumors newbie

So I stupidly dropped my 2010 macbook pro 13 on the ground today, right on the bottom left corner (nice little gouge too, but doesn't affect the closing of the lid), but when I opened up the laptop from sleep mode, the computer just froze.

I let it sit for a minute and could tell something was wrong so I did hard shutdown on the computer and turned it back on.

All I get now is a ? with a box around it. So I loaded up a OS X install disk and ran Disk Utility and it sees no partitions; it recognizes the drive but sees it as an un-itialized drive. I pulled the drive out and put it in an enclosure and tested it in linux and windows. All three OS's (linux/win/mac) recognize the drive but see absolutely no partition table set up.

Is my drive toast? Is there any recommendations on getting the files back?

BTW it's a 500gb Western Digital Scorpio Black that I installed back in January.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sounds like you toasted it. You opened it up, right? Did the metal hit the hard drive?

If you had important data on there i'd just send it off to a data recovery company. If it clicks, do the same.

I can't tell you the *right* way to do it otherwise just because who knows whether or not it's still working *but* i'd use the following tools in order of importance and increasing desperation:

spinrite
    diskwarrior
    Data Rescue 3
    An inhaler

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

From what I have seen, the HDD is usually the first part to break in the MBP from shock/vibration of a fall. It is probably done for, and even if you can get it working again, I'd throw it out as its longevity may have been compromised.

How important are the files and are they backed up elsewhere? Data recovery services I have used get very expensive within a short amount of time.

4. hyp.spec thread starter macrumors newbie

At the cost of the Data recovery tools, I'd rather just purchase a new hard drive.

...I wonder if I can still get WD to replace the drive under warranty... it's 3 months old >_<

Well I guess it's off to SSD land for me...

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'm guessing WD doesn't warrant failures due to drops. :( No harm in trying though!

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I sent WD a dropped Blue drive and they didn't seem to care. Head clicked and everything.

But I gather you didn't have any important data?

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

An SSD might be helpful for you, but less buttery fingers will be better in the long run ;)

8. hyp.spec thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't have anything 'mission critical' as I have my most important things backed up... there was still some stuff on there I wish I had. Oh well.

I guess I'll try the RMA process with Western Digital and see what they do.

It's really a shame the drive took one fall and failed on me. I've been using WD drives for years.

Maybe I'll give one of these a go: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0345740