Dropped MBP, dented lid and cracked glass

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by poonpower, Jul 23, 2011.

1. poonpower macrumors newbie

So yesterday I dropped my mbp from my waist to the ground. It cracked the top right corner of the glass, and dented the lid.

I've searched online for the parts I need, but I'm not quite sure what else I need. The model is A1278, and so far I know I need the screen back case, as well as the glass. The LCD is perfectly fine, as well as all other parts of the laptop.

What other parts do I need? I've attached a picture to aid in the diagnosis.

Thanks all

[​IMG]

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Check iFixit.com... they have a good break down of parts.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

4. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Honestly why do you want it fixed? Seems good to me...

5. DropKick macrumors member

^ probably b/c the glass will splinter more over time.

6. poonpower thread starter macrumors newbie

yea the picture doesnt really show the crack that runs all the way down to the black bezel.

From what I've read, all I need are the glass and the lcd back cover. I can transfer everything else, its just a pain in the ass to do, cus the cables and things are somewhat fragile.

Has anyone ever done this?

7. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

How is it the only option? Ever hear of DIY?

8. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

What if you take it to a windshield repair shop? This suggestion may sound stupid but I had a windshield cracked pretty bad and they just injected a liquid resin into the crack and it looked like new!

It's at least worth looking into as it might be your cheapest option.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

That really sucks...goodluck fixing it, I'm sure there are tons of people that has had this kind of situation. =) So, keep your head up, not the end of the world, only the end of a few $.

10. poonpower thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys for the input.

As mentioned, it is possible to fix this myself, I just gotta get the right parts.

The windshield place most likely wouldnt work, as its not just cracked, its shattered and missing pieces, so I doubt this will be able to fix it.

11. DWBurke811, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011

DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Back on topic, I'm sure you could get all the parts on eBay and just go to work. There's no reason you can't fix it yourself; the laptop is just a lot of assembled parts, just unassemble it and change what's broken. Seems like a 5 year old could do it, if they had the motor skills.

12. usman.rz macrumors member

Something similar happened to me a few months ago. I did a ton of research and came up with two solutions.

1) There's an iFixit guide on replacing the screen. There are two issues though - the first is that the glass is bonded to the panel and you need to soften the glue with a heat fun to get the glass to come off. The second is that the panels are supplied as a single piece, the aluminum backing, the LCD, and the glass up front. This makes it difficult to find the individual pieces you're looking for.

2) Take it to the Apple Store. This is what I ultimately ended up doing. It's a $600 fix and they replace the entire top panel. Mine took less than a day to do since my local Apple Store had a replacement screen in stock.

Anyways, that's what I found. Hope that helps.

13. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Just buy a whole used top case on ebay and replace it your self. Easiest and cheapest option.

14. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I think you missed the point, intentionally or unintentionally. He's saying you don't need any real skills to change the LCD; it's clear you're mad for some reason so I'm done feeding the trolls.

15. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Is this a discussion about me? I thought we talk about MBPs and possible repairs? Not? How unprofessional!

@all others:
    1. I provided a solution in post #3 (I said: Go to your AASP!).
    2. You can read about additional problems in post #16.
    3. If you try to insult others, then you should know, that your behavior does not solve the problem at hand.

16. poonpower thread starter macrumors newbie

ok guys, i really appreciate the help. I don't want people arguing which option is better because really, people have preferences. I prefer to let Apple do this, but then I got a quote from them, and it will cost upwards of $600.

SO NOW>>>> I'm gonna do this myself, haha.
    My model is the A1278 one, early 2011 delivery. I bought a glass off ebay, and now I'm searching for a back cover.
    I cant seem to find a back cover for this model though. I mean they all say its for the A1278, but its for the late 2009 to mid 2010 model. I want to know if there are any differences between the early 2011 to the older ones?????

I know pretty much the entire top lcd lid is the same, other than the HD Facetime camera.

17. poonpower thread starter macrumors newbie

18. JronMasteR, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

19. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Just an FYI

Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent.