Dropped MBP on the floor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pauvrelola, Dec 1, 2012.

1. pauvrelola macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Yesterday I dropped my macbook pro 13 inch on the floor. it was not a big fall and i had a video playing which continued playing normally... later the computer crashed, and i had to restart it... after that i couldnt get to my desktop again, it plays the sound and it shows the apple and the sign of loading but then it just takes me to a blank screen. i can see my mouse moving though.

i took it to the apple shop and they started the disk utility and the guy there told me that he must create a new partition and copy all my data there ... he also said he was going to check again if the hardware is all good.

does anyone know what this is? can anyone tell me if the hardware is ok and what might happen and how long it should take?

i realise these are all questions for the apple technician but im asking here because im based in thailand and i dont speak thai... the technician seems very helpful but his english is not great either ... so id just like to have more answers!

thank you all in advance.

2. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Failed hard disk is my best guess. An hdd has moving parts, so it's likely to fail if the laptop falls while a video is playing. If you have important data, you should try to copy it over to an external hard disk. Did you make backups?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It sounds like your causes the HDD read head to crash into the platter.

Is it a big deal? I would backup your data if you haven't already been doing that.

4. pauvrelola thread starter macrumors newbie

I have most of my data backed up because this is a 4 month old MBP... so no dramatic data loss although my latest work is there and ill have to re-do it if its lost... as far as i could understand from the cyptic talk i had with the technician he will copy all my data into a new partition so i think everything will be safe ... i have only about 100G on the computer between applications and data. do you have any idea how long the whole process can take?

and most importantly... do you think my HDD is damaged?

thank you so much.

5. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately we can only tell you what we think is the most likely thing to occur. You said that the technician will copy the data to 'another partition'. Hopefully, that partition would be on another disk.

Here's my suggestion: since you have a backup which is 4 months old, go see the technician with a big usb stick and ask him to copy the most recent stuff on there. Better safe than sorry... :)

As for the time needed for repair, once again, we can only speculate. If it's the hard disk, the technician might need to order a new one.

Another suggestion: Translate your questions into thai (using your iPhone) and write them down on a piece of paper. Google translate will help you.

Ask simple questions like:

How many days will it take to repair my computer?
    How much will it cost to repair my computer?
    etc.

Hope you get it sorted.

6. pauvrelola thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I will do that... So you think my HDD is probably ruined? Can I get this into my warranty? I will go there today and ask for my recent data, its only about 4G so hopefully I can have it pronto. Thank you!