Dropped mbp wont boot!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdwagner888, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

So my mbp fell off the bed and started running really slow. I re-started and now it will not boot past the apple logo load screen. I tried a shift boot and then a shift/command/v boot and it says i am missing a file somewhere in the boot directory. Any ideas on how to boot up to load this file?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems like the Read write head on the HD hit the platter, you should try to repair the disk, I would also recommend you to do a Backup ASAP.

If it's only that you are still lucky and if a repair or reinstall won't help you need a new HD.

If you have an Install disk, run Disk Utility from it and try to repair the HD

3. jdwagner888 thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention my boot drive is solid state

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yeah, thought about that, now that's a different story.

You could try to boot of a backup if you have one, if not you could try to install an OS on a USB stick (Min. 8 GB) and see if it boots from it.

5. jdwagner888 thread starter macrumors regular

Dont really know what this is but with command option n v. All held down during startup. Only if i have the cd drive installed with osx disk in. When i put my data doubler back in and try this it will not boot and says unabled to open /var/db/bootcache.playlist:2 no such file directory

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

Sounds like the directory got messed up. What OS are you running? Do you have a Disk Warrior DVD? If so try to repair the drive with DW.
    In any case you should try to repair the drive either with Disk Utility or Disk Warrior. Have you tried a safe boot, hold down the Command and S keys on bootup. If that boots up, type in fsck -fy at the prompt.
    Have another Mac to try Target Disk Mode (connect with Firewire cable, start up the damaged Mac with the "t" key held down)? Then use Disk utility etc. to see if you can repair the drive.

7. jdwagner888 thread starter macrumors regular

I got into disk utility and tried repairing the drive with no success. Then did the fsck thing u said and it spit out. Fsck usage: [-fdnypq] [-L number]

8. davidlv macrumors 65816

You have to start up from the target disk holding the Command and the S keys down and then type fsck -fy at the prompt.
    This is basically the same routine Disk Utility runs, and the hard disk must not be mounted for it to work.