Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftbtef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hi, tonight I dropped my older (late-2007) MBP 2 feet or so. Everything seemed to be working fine, but later I noticed that the lower left corner of the bottom half was slightly bent and was bulging up:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Is this going to create a problem? If I look through the little gap, I can see one of the keyboard lights very slightly. Is dust etc going to get in there and mess up my system? Or is this just a cosmetic error that won't affect the computer?

Thanks for any help, I'm worrying my a** off.

EDIT: also just noticed that when you close the laptop and open it again, it doesnt do it how it used to. No biggie, just adding info.

matt94gt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Victoria BC Canada
It looks almost as it could "pop" back in with a bit of pressure? If you really are worried about dust and crap getting in put some clear tape or a sticker over it.

ftbtef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
If I apply pressure, it goes back down, but if I stop applying it, it pops right back up. I can also seem to hear the hdd making noises I've heard before, but it's making them much more often. I guess I'll put the tape on, thanks for the tip. I also did a disk check with OnyX and it was OK, but I'm not sure that checks for actual damage.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
If you hear strange noises from the hard drive you might want to diligently start/continue to back up your data.

+1. I backup weekly on my month old MBP but that's due to me not wanting to just plug in the drive and hit the button.

If anything were to happen, I'd backup by the day at least. If money isn't something you have plenty of, I'd also start saving for a replacement internal hard drive or a case so you can fix the problem; you can't just keep using a machine with a gap in the bottom, especially if you transport it often.

Dust and dirt will get in there and start mucking things up after some period of time.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
If I apply pressure, it goes back down, but if I stop applying it, it pops right back up. I can also seem to hear the hdd making noises I've heard before, but it's making them much more often. I guess I'll put the tape on, thanks for the tip. I also did a disk check with OnyX and it was OK, but I'm not sure that checks for actual damage.

That damage is right next to where the HDD is, so it is possible that the HDD has damage...or perhaps it isn't seated well anymore. I would take the top case off and check the HDD and try to put the top case back on straight.

ftbtef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I backup with time machine multiple times per day already :). I have noticed today that the CPU A temperature, which is usually the highest temp for me, won't seem to go below 130 F. I tried turning up the fan speed with smcFanControl, but that only turns it up for a second, then brings the fans back to normal. I taped it, but I guess stuff could still get in. I'll take it apart as soon as I finish typing this. What sort of damage should I be looking for?

EDIT: Even manually running the fan over and over again at 6000rpm, I can only get the temp to about 110 running only safari...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.