DROPPED my 2010 13" MBP on concrete!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigsexyy81, Jun 21, 2011.

1. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I normally wouldn't make it a point to praise/brag about something like this, but it impressed me enough to tell the masses (MacRumors, lol).

My backpack has a side zipper that stores my laptop in behind the main compartment. It works great because it's a padded section and leaves the main large compartment for all of my books and paperwork. It works great IF you zip up that compartment!

So three weeks ago I was rushing out of the office and forgot to zip it up apparently. I pulled my backpack out of the car and swung it around to throw it on my shoulder. Two seconds later I hear the sound of something heavy bouncing off my concrete driveway. This isn't smooth white paved driveway, mind you. This is worn down blacktop driveway. I turn my head to see my MBP on it's third bounce, with each bounce occurring on a corner as opposed to landing just flat. It dropped a good 4-5 ft as I'm 6'4.

Naturally, I figure it's toast. Fully expecting to have to show my bosses the idiot I was and assuming I'd find a shattered LCD when I opened it up.

No cracks on the screen and everything still works perfectly. I've given it a few weeks to see if anything would show up and nada. I did a number on the rear corners which effectively demolishes any resale value this thing might have had, but it operates like it never happened.

I don't know if it was because of the unibody construction or what, but I wouldn't expect any laptop to survive this. There are many other reasons why I would go with a MBP again, but this just solidifies my stance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

My heart sank when I saw the thread's title lol

I've seen a few postings like this where everything turned out pretty well considering the accident. I'm really glad to see all is not lost :)

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

your mbp is a tank. :] glad to hear that it didn't get too damaged, you caught a break for sure.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Mine fell off my nightstand, maybe 3 feet?, onto hardwood and aside from a little dent in the front left corner it survived great.

Throw a black(or whatever color you like) case on it and it'll look good as new. Or let the battle scars show :apple:

5. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

More like threw it on concrete. Wow, just wow!

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yowza! Those are some battle scars right there. At least it's still working. And you'll have a story to tell.

7. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Now someone try it with a 17" so we can see with the weight difference!!
    J/K, please don't.
    To be honest it's weird, it doesn't seem to have bent that much. They are usually bending instead of "breaking" like yours. That was a tough ride though!
    You're a lucky man bro. Never let it go!:apple:

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

There's a guy who dropped his Macbook Pro on concrete... It was mangled but worked. For some reason, 13" Macs seem a lot more sturdy than 15" or 17" computers. I've dropped my 13" and it only got a few scratches and dings.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

weighs less and not as much flex when hitting something would be my guess

11. bigsexyy81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Yikes! I did get lucky, and I know it.

My company has historically only bought Dells so having them fork over the big bucks on the MBP only to have me drop and break it would've been tragic. This will help my case in getting everyone else Macs.

12. ShootingStars macrumors member

no it is because there are more components cramped up together so there is less movement when it is dropped