Dropped my Brand new MBA :eek:

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Appledreamer, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Appledreamer, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013

Appledreamer macrumors member

Hi People....How are we all.....

I was wondering what peoples thoughts where do the damage to my mac?

Would the apple store be able to repair this for me? what price? could i do it myself?

I normally keep my laptop for 2-3 years BUT i was actually hopping to sell this one on after a year and get next years model and put a small amount to the upgrade each time, i guess having it dented will make it worth feck all now :(

Your views please or options.......

Thank you.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

2. DanielCoffey, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013

DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Out of interest, do you have AppleCare+ on it? You may be able to claim under the Accidental Damage category although there will be an excess. Even if you don't, there is no harm in just asking for a quote for a repair.

3. Rich.Cohen macrumors regular

I've dropped more than one MacBook over the years. I the one case were there was damage I discovered that my homeowners insurance covered it.

4. Appledreamer thread starter macrumors member

no i don't have any :( did i need it before the drop? or can i get it now

5. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

There is a window on getting AppleCare plus but I think they have to inspect it first, not sure if it's even for an Air after you purchase it.

6. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

holy hell, how low is your deductible?

----------

i don't think there is an option to buy applecare+ for the macbook air. that's just iphones and ipads

7. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

True - as far as I know, no AppleCare+ (or any sort of AppleCare that covers accidental damage for Macs) exists.

OP, what's the damage to your Mac other than the physical damage shown in the photos? Does it work normally? If so, you could always put on a hard shell cover and forget about it.

8. arrowtree macrumors member

that's what I was about to say... I'm currently in the process of getting AppleCare and based on my research, Apple does not offer accidental damage protection on any AppleCare plan for notebook computers.

SquareTrade does offer it. $182(with discount code) for 3 years. Unless the OP purchased his/her Macbook withint the last 29 days, it may be too late.

It appears that the OP's Macbook Air is less than one year old. Which credit card was used to make the purchase? Check with the issuer to see if there is any coverage. Also, some homeowners/renters insurance policies cover household electronics as well.

9. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

what insurance company are you with?

I may call around for that. and in terms of covering it can you give some detail as to how they "covered it" send you a check? send you a new mac? etc?

10. Einz macrumors regular

Einz

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

How did you pay for it? If by credit card, you may have accidental protection built it. Its on all american expresses and some visa's.

12. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

I am the furthest thing possible from an expert on this topic but my home owner's insurance has something around a $1000 deductible. i would never make a claim on something unless it was in the 5 digit range...maybe that guy has a different type of policy than i do or there's something i'm not understanding but to me that just sounds nuts...especially for cosmetic damage.
    now in the event of a catastrophic loss there is umbrella coverage for expensive items (computers, jewelry art etc) and you can insure super expensive things individually if you wish but a laptop by itself?

Now, if your souped up mac pro with 10 TBDs got fried i suppose you might consider it but for this? no way. Just live with it until you're ready to buy another one.

my 2008 macbook took so many falls and dings it looks like i used it to hammer nails. but guess what - it still works like it was brand new!

i'm sorry you dropped your computer, OP :(

13. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

well, i mean my deductible is about $500 in which case it's worth it, still for a fried machine...

i agree about the cosmetic damage though, :D

14. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

even then i'm not sure that it is. every time you file such a claim it goes into a database that insurers use in much the same way creditors use your credit score.

to claim or not to claim seems to be a pretty complicated issue. in a perfect world, obviously, you should be able to claim everything that would be covered and you'd be fine. but underwriters don't like this (obviously) and they're going to get you if you start making multiple claims. and i really do think they are looking for more than one claim in 10 years. obviously the size of the claim is important, but never the less a claim for a laptop is small time and i would be very hesitant to file such a claim under my HOI.

My parents, for example never filed a claim in 20some years. Then in one year they had a fire and a flood...claimed both. their premiums doubled. the insurance company made back what they "lost" within a year...and that's not even counting the 20 years of claim-free "coverage"

Yes, it's a total scam.

15. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

very true and a tragic story! Sorry to hear about your parents, as much as i wish this was an outlier case, it really does not seem to be, and I am certain that your premiums fluctuate on the basis of the claims. that being said however a PC being a relatively small claim, i don't see the premiums going up as much as they would when you claim a few hundred thousand in damages...

perhaps the poster that said that they actually claimed it may be able to illuminate us as to whether there were any changes to his/her insurance premiums?

in any case though, its a multi-billion dollar industry and in my experience people that make loads of money want nothing less than making less and nothing more than making more...! F- the insurance companies if you ask me but hey, who cares about the middle class now-a-days anyways...so pissing in the wind i shall remain standing :eek:

16. mpantone macrumors 6502

Correct.

American Express offers 90-day purchase protection (accidental damage or theft) as well as an extended warranty (adds one year to manufacturer's warranty).

I buy all of my electronics with my Amex Blue. Buying expensive consumer electronics with a debit card is for chumps.

17. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

agreed... :) sort of, as not everyone can get a amex... :eek:

18. Rich.Cohen macrumors regular

I have a computer and technology rider on my homeowner's policy that covers me for accidental damage (drops and spills) up to $10,000 with a $250 deductible. Loss or theft is covered by the basic policy with no upper limit. I just checked about that limit because I'm going to buy a new Mac Pro.

----------

My insurance is with USAA. I pay $36/year for this rider. Here is the short description:

Additional Computer Coverage

Provides additional computer coverage not automatically included in a homeowners or renters policy. Events like fire, lightning, windstorm, theft and vandalism are already covered by homeowners and renters policies. Additional Computer Coverage offers protection against drops and spills that cause damage to your computer.

19. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

The same thing happened to me except I have a macbook pro. Not sure if that makes a difference but it should not be much of a problem. You may have some problems with opening/closing your laptop but after a month or so, the metal will erode away and the opening/closing will be at ease.

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

what you really need to look into is what happens to your policy if you make X number of claims. If you make a claim for a 2k MBP and they up your rates by $50/month have you saved any money?

21. Rich.Cohen macrumors regular

I pay attention to my annual insurance bill and I have made claim both for wind damage to my home and once for a computer that fell on the floor and needed a new hard disk. So far I have not see an increase in my rates.

USAA is a very honorable and ethical company. It's also a mutual insurance company so I'm one of the shareholders. I've been insured with them for almost 50 years.

22. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

sounds like you've got your i's crossed and t's dotted then:p

23. Rich.Cohen macrumors regular

I remain a very happy customer and member of USAA.

24. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i'll call my insurance company about this tomorrow :D