Dropped my computer and it is being weird... Please help I need it for work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 3652, May 28, 2014.

1. 3652 macrumors newbie

So my mother dropped her computer about 2 feet above the ground and it landed closed with the back of the screen on the ground. I picked it up and the screen was black. So i restarted it and it came on but the airport card was not working. So i thought "lets just plug it up to the modem with the cord" so my mom turned off the computer (i have no clue why) and handed it to me. So i plugged it in and started it up. I waited, and waited, and waited about 15 minutes but it would not turn on, it was just sitting on the apple logo loading. So i restarted it again and it still did not start. So I opened up the computer in single user mode (the command line) and read the messages. I typed in "/sbin/fsck -fy" and it said something like "rebuilding hfs_btree" or something like that. And for about 20 minutes it said "disk0s2: I/O error 1"... so I restarted it and brought it back to command line and typed in "exit" and now it keeps saying "Disk0s2: I/O error 1
    0 [level 3] [readUID] [Facillity com.apple.system.fs] [Errtype IO] [ErrNo 5] [IOType Read] (Bunch of numbers/letters) [FSLogMsgID (Bunch or nubers)] [FLogMsg Order]

Please help I have no clue what this means... I am only somewhat experienced with invalid node structure. Her model is somewhat close to mine. Mine is
    MacBook
    13-inch, Late 2009
    Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

If you need any more info just tell me how to get it and what you need. Thanks:)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your hard drive is likely dead. It will need to be replaced.

3. 3652 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it worked fine once and all of the memory was there.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

If it worked fine before it was dropped, then it's possible the drop damaged it.

If you're saying the disk worked once after it was dropped, it's still possible the drop damaged it, but it just took longer for the damage to appear. For example, the heads in the disk drive can be slightly damaged, and ongoing use of the disk causes the damage to get worse.

If you need a mental picture, think of a slightly damaged disk head gradually scraping away the magnetic coating of the disk platters, and the resulting dust increasing the friction between head and platter, resulting in more scraping and more dust. I'm not saying that's exactly what happened, as it's a worst-case example. But it's the kind of thing that can happen.

5. 3652 thread starter macrumors newbie

so do i need to bring it to a repair shop? because i am in Costa Rica currently so i need to wait a few more weeks then? But thank you for responding.

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

The fly height for the heads on a modern drive are less than 3 nanometers, they glide above the platers on a air bearing (air cushion) and a 2 foot drop is enough to have 1 or more heads smash into the surface of the platers which are spinning at 5400RPM.

That small drop was probably enough to put a nice circular scratch into the platters.

Forget trying to save the operating system, if your data is important turn off the drive immediately and send it to a data recovery company (they should be able to recover some or most of the data provided the service tracks aren't damaged).

7. 3652 thread starter macrumors newbie

.... so i cant bring it in so i guess my mom is screwed... oh well at least the important stuff she has is on google drive... thanks anyways