Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Dropped my Western Digital Passport today. It was connected to my laptop and fell out and hit the ground. No data was being transferred at the time. When I plug it into my MacBook now it doesn't show up. The light on the hardrive lights up and I can hear the internals making noise but it's not showing up. Am I screwed?

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
You might want to open up the casing and see if any connections have been shaken loose, it might just be the internal SATA cable that popped out of its socket...hopefully.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Dropped my Western Digital Passport today. It was connected to my laptop and fell out and hit the ground. No data was being transferred at the time. When I plug it into my MacBook now it doesn't show up. The light on the hardrive lights up and I can hear the internals making noise but it's not showing up. Am I screwed?

I had a WD desktop drive that tipped onto it's side and lost 2GB of movies. Considering opening it up as suggested.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I had a WD desktop drive that tipped onto it's side and lost 2GB of movies. Considering opening it up as suggested.

Yeah I basically just lost 250GB of movies. Hopefully it's just the enclosure that's busted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.