Dropped my guitar on my mb. Circle with a line through it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jesses, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jesses macrumors regular

jesses

Hate to make the topic.. But I kinda dropped my guitar onto my macbook. The body of the guitar hit the right side of the keyboard and bam! Desktop froze, keyboard froze.. So now when I turn the mb on, it gets up to the grey screen with the grey apple for about ten seconds. Then the apple is replaced with a circle with a line through it. (kinda like those no smoking signs circle.) so..is by mb dead? In addition, the cd port is bent so I can't put any CDs in it.. Any ideas mac rumors?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sounds like you damaged the HDD. You may have to get a new HDD. Take it to the Apple store and see if your files can be salvaged, if no hopefully you've backed them up.

3. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Your HDD is dead, that is what I think, try getting it replaced and see if it works, but Applecare will not fix it free of charge

4. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

the same happened to me mate. just go to an apple store and they will replace the hard drive
    i was out of warranty, they replaced the hard drive, for free, the same day. it was fantastic service

5. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Applecare definatly will not replace it. This is accidental damage which they dont cover, especially if the case is bent. Hopefully you have a backup of your data, because your hard drive is pretty much gone, you possibly need a new top case also if you wanna use your cd drive again.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP, go ahead and take it in and see what the Genius Bar Tech says; who knows you might catch a break. Or you can have it repaired by an authorized repair shop and fix the non-warrantied damage...:(

7. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Have to concur, Most likely killed the HD.
    Bummer.

8. jesses thread starter macrumors regular

jesses

Ahh.. Well accidents happen. Last question..anyone know the average price for replacing the hdd? Most likely a 100+gb one?

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Did you try booting from the install/restore DVD and see if it sees the hard disk? You can gently bend the case back enough to receive a CD.

10. hlr element macrumors member

at first i thought how high did you drop the guitar from to bend the case and most likely ruin the HD... then i remembered electric are heavier than acoustic lol... sad to hear tho...

11. aluminumapple macrumors regular

: O

is the guitar ok?!?!?!

joking. but id rather worry more about my guitar than my macbook ;P lol.

12. jesses thread starter macrumors regular

jesses

Guitar is fine :)
    anyway, looks like i'll be bringing the mb to the apple store friday.
    Thanks!