Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesses

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Georgia
Hate to make the topic.. But I kinda dropped my guitar onto my macbook. The body of the guitar hit the right side of the keyboard and bam! Desktop froze, keyboard froze.. So now when I turn the mb on, it gets up to the grey screen with the grey apple for about ten seconds. Then the apple is replaced with a circle with a line through it. (kinda like those no smoking signs circle.) so..is by mb dead? In addition, the cd port is bent so I can't put any CDs in it.. Any ideas mac rumors?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Sounds like you damaged the HDD. You may have to get a new HDD. Take it to the Apple store and see if your files can be salvaged, if no hopefully you've backed them up.

John01021988

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Your HDD is dead, that is what I think, try getting it replaced and see if it works, but Applecare will not fix it free of charge

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
the same happened to me mate. just go to an apple store and they will replace the hard drive
i was out of warranty, they replaced the hard drive, for free, the same day. it was fantastic service

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
Applecare definatly will not replace it. This is accidental damage which they dont cover, especially if the case is bent. Hopefully you have a backup of your data, because your hard drive is pretty much gone, you possibly need a new top case also if you wanna use your cd drive again.

jesses

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Georgia
Ahh.. Well accidents happen. Last question..anyone know the average price for replacing the hdd? Most likely a 100+gb one?

hlr element

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
at first i thought how high did you drop the guitar from to bend the case and most likely ruin the HD... then i remembered electric are heavier than acoustic lol... sad to hear tho...

jesses

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Georgia
Guitar is fine :)
anyway, looks like i'll be bringing the mb to the apple store friday.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.