Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
I was cleaning my room and accidentally bumped into my iMac (late 2012 model) and it fell off my desk.

I picked it up, turned it on and everything seemed fine. Turned it off and on once more and everything still seems fine.

Should I be worried?
The chord detached from the back, but I'm grateful it was not running and was powered off.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
If its all working then feel very lucky to have escaped.

I can't think of anything that would stop after time following an impact (apart from spinning disks, but if it was off then the heads would have been parked).

X Fingers all you suffered was a mild heart jump!

This would seem a very good time to check you have adequate insurance (including accidental damage) :)

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I was cleaning my room and accidentally bumped into my iMac (late 2012 model) and it fell off my desk.

I picked it up, turned it on and everything seemed fine. Turned it off and on once more and everything still seems fine.

Should I be worried?
The chord detached from the back, but I'm grateful it was not running and was powered off.

You are incredibly lucky, before you do anything though go out and buy AppleCare, who knows what you may have done. While AppleCare doesn't cover damage done by idiocy it may help you out.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
You are incredibly lucky, before you do anything though go out and buy AppleCare, who knows what you may have done. While AppleCare doesn't cover damage done by idiocy it may help you out.

I have until December 14th, so I'm going to buy it as soon as I can.

I've been using my iMac right now and everything is running perfectly fine. I was reading around other forums and I realize I am lucky. :eek:

----------

If its all working then feel very lucky to have escaped.

I can't think of anything that would stop after time following an impact (apart from spinning disks, but if it was off then the heads would have been parked).

X Fingers all you suffered was a mild heart jump!

This would seem a very good time to check you have adequate insurance (including accidental damage) :)

Yeah, I'm going to extend Apple Care for it. There is insurance for accidental damage?

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Yeah, I'm going to extend Apple Care for it. There is insurance for accidental damage?

most contents insurance plans include or have an option for accidental damage (I know ours does and we pay a little extra to cover anything outside the house, even if we are really stupid with it).

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL

Many credit cards will offer accidental breakage protection for purchased made on their cards but that's usually only for a set amount of time (up to 90 days).

Some renters/homeowners insurance policies have this or the insurance company might offer it. You'd have to check with your insurance company.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I dropped 2 iMacs. Both of them with the screen (glass and LCD) cracked.
You lucky bastard. :)

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
I dropped 2 iMacs. Both of them with the screen (glass and LCD) cracked.
You lucky bastard. :)

Dang, how much did it cost you to replace them?

I certainly am. I am going to be much more careful now. I might tie up the iMac with a rope so it won't fall. :)

----------

Many credit cards will offer accidental breakage protection for purchased made on their cards but that's usually only for a set amount of time (up to 90 days).

Some renters/homeowners insurance policies have this or the insurance company might offer it. You'd have to check with your insurance company.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I had no idea!

----------

most contents insurance plans include or have an option for accidental damage (I know ours does and we pay a little extra to cover anything outside the house, even if we are really stupid with it).

wow, that's really good. Thank you for letting me know! :)

Do you mind me asking how much extra you pay for anything outside your home?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.