Dropped my iMac :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JayCee842, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JayCee842 macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

I was cleaning my room and accidentally bumped into my iMac (late 2012 model) and it fell off my desk.

I picked it up, turned it on and everything seemed fine. Turned it off and on once more and everything still seems fine.

Should I be worried?
    The chord detached from the back, but I'm grateful it was not running and was powered off.

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

If its all working then feel very lucky to have escaped.

I can't think of anything that would stop after time following an impact (apart from spinning disks, but if it was off then the heads would have been parked).

X Fingers all you suffered was a mild heart jump!

This would seem a very good time to check you have adequate insurance (including accidental damage) :)

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You are incredibly lucky, before you do anything though go out and buy AppleCare, who knows what you may have done. While AppleCare doesn't cover damage done by idiocy it may help you out.

4. JayCee842 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

I have until December 14th, so I'm going to buy it as soon as I can.

I've been using my iMac right now and everything is running perfectly fine. I was reading around other forums and I realize I am lucky. :eek:

----------

Yeah, I'm going to extend Apple Care for it. There is insurance for accidental damage?

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

most contents insurance plans include or have an option for accidental damage (I know ours does and we pay a little extra to cover anything outside the house, even if we are really stupid with it).

6. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Many credit cards will offer accidental breakage protection for purchased made on their cards but that's usually only for a set amount of time (up to 90 days).

Some renters/homeowners insurance policies have this or the insurance company might offer it. You'd have to check with your insurance company.

7. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

I dropped 2 iMacs. Both of them with the screen (glass and LCD) cracked.
    You lucky bastard. :)

8. JayCee842 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

Dang, how much did it cost you to replace them?

I certainly am. I am going to be much more careful now. I might tie up the iMac with a rope so it won't fall. :)

----------

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I had no idea!

----------

wow, that's really good. Thank you for letting me know! :)

Do you mind me asking how much extra you pay for anything outside your home?

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

10. B1ueB1aze macrumors member

AppleCare for Macs doesn't cover accidental damage though. If you want to run some hardware tests to make sure everything's ok, you could run these steps, http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509.