Dropped my iPad on my macbook's screen, how do I fix this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arash007ir, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Arash007ir macrumors newbie

Dropped my iPad on my macbook's screen. There's one small scratch on the bezel right next to the camera and a huge one around the middle of the screen.

The worse part is I just had this screen replaced under the "staingate" program. How do I fix this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Replace the screen

Sadly, there is no fix, just replace :(

3. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's unfortunate. The only repair solution possible is to have the display replaced. You Could take a microfiber cloth and try to slightly buff it out if possible, but ultimately, that won't remove the scratch entirely, but it might diminish it somewhat.

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Yep that needs a screen replacement, there is possibly a way to replace only the outer layer but probably unlikely. Pop into a 3rd party repair shop to see (Apple will just replace the screen).

Just FYI: Bashing iPads and MacBook Pros together is not how you make an iPad Pro :eek:

5. chscag macrumors 68000

That's a heart breaker... but like you've already been advised to do - replace the screen and be more careful with your stuff in the future.

6. Arash007ir thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately it doesn't buff out with the microfiber cloth alone. I was hoping maybe there's some kind of a glass polish or scratch remover that I can use, but I'm worried it may eat through the antireflective coating.

Looking at my invoice, I don't think I'm prepared to dish out $280 to have the screen replaced again. I think I'm just gonna live with it for now. It's just unfortunate that it had to happen right after I replaced the screen.

[​IMG]

I guess I was misinformed.

7. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

I'll tell you right now, do not try any kind of scratch removal technique on it. I gauruntee you'll make it worse than it is and as you noted you'll remove that coating. It is possible to remove scratches in actual glass using professional buffing equipment, but I'm talking windows here not a fragile computer screen. Just don't! I think the outermost layer is actually perspex or something though?

Ah so you're familiar with this forum? :rolleyes:

Honestly it sucks but you've got the right idea of just living with it, could always have been worse. I take it the iPad faired a little better in that fight at least?

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would just get an antiglare screen protector, I have good feeling this would make the marks "go away" to intents and purpose...

Q-6

9. MrGuder macrumors 68020

This is good advice, a screen protector might also make those marks less visible. I would advice not to use cleaners or buff too much as you risk more damage to the coating layer.

So what happened to your keyboard area or the bottom of your laptop? If it made those kind of marks from a drop it must have landed on your keyboard or casing?

10. Arash007ir thread starter macrumors newbie

The iPad won that battle. An attempt was made to carry 17 different things all at the same time, but I can't tell for sure if it was 100% flawless. I think it was the sharp edge around the iPad that did it.

I did think about the screen protector but I find them even more irritating than the scratch itself. If there isn't a safe way to remove it, I'd rather not mess with it. Plus, you can barely notice the scratch when the screen is on.

It did land on the keyboard, but only left a small mark. I think the screen took most of the impact.

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Not well versed in this area, but would a screen protector (if they are even made for this size) help somewhat?