dropped my iphone 3gs in water

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gujerforce, Nov 1, 2012.

1. gujerforce macrumors newbie

hi i dropped my iphone 3gs in water and it got fully submerged. i tried turning it on but there was no response so i read about the rice trick and left it in a bag of rice for about 24 hours which seemed to dry it out. i then tried turnin it on again but it was unresponsive so i plugged it into my charger and then the phone showed me a very faint apple logo but was unresponsive so i removed it from the charger and have put it back into the rice. if someone could please help me with what i should do now as i dont know if my iphone will work or if someone has had similar symptoms with ther phone and if ther phone has started working or not as i have everything in my phone so if someone could please help it would be greatly appreciated

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bring it to apple along with $149 and they will replace it for you.
    It won't just magically work.
    It's water damaged and most likely fried.

3. gujerforce thread starter macrumors newbie

ive just bought it not even 2 weeks ago and i really dont want to pay again also ive recenlty moved to saudia arabia so i dont even know if apple have stores here and what about the data ive lost can that be recovered as i have no backups of it

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, if you have no backup and it won't turn on its all gone.
    Be more careful with your things next time.

5. gujerforce thread starter macrumors newbie

hi thanks for your advice but my phone has started working again and everything seems to be working perfect except my iphone has no backlight so everything is hard to see everything so i was wonderinng if there was a fix for this available or how much it would cost to fix this or if its possible to fix myself thanks

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Might need a new screen, not sure.
    Bring it to a repair place to see if they can fix it.
    Also I would leave it in rice to suck up all the moisture.
    If it didnt dry completely the corrosion will kill the rest of the components in the phone sooner or later.

7. swains.mate macrumors newbie

The same thing happened with an old Sidekick I had years and years ago. Dropped it in water and eventually it started working, minus the backlight which pretty much made it useless.

Does apple give you a new or refurbished iphone 3gs for $150? You can get them new for $200 off Amazon sealed in box. Or you can get a used 4s for like $220.

Rice is a natural desiccant but there are MUCH better alternatives that will work quicker by FAR. I buy silica packs off Amazon for really cheap, and have had the best success with those.

8. gujerforce thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys ive had it in rice for 3 days now and was thinking about opening it up and cleaning out all the corrosion and putting it back together if you think thats a good idea also i know lcd screen are pretty cheap now so if i replaced the whole screen would this solve the whole backlight issue or not do you think or could it be something else?