Dropped my iphone 4 - cracked back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doyle369, Jul 28, 2010.

1. doyle369 macrumors regular

How much does it cost to get fixed (from UK)

I dont wan to go through my insurance

Thanks

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

have you tried your luck at an apple store yet?

3. doyle369 thread starter macrumors regular

No

That will be well expensive to go there?

4. chembox macrumors 6502a

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Put a case on it. ;)

That's what I plan on doing if it happens.

6. doyle369 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Your best bet is to go to an Apple store. They may replace the phone for you.

8. doyle369 thread starter macrumors regular

for free?

9. calvy macrumors 65816

yes, go to the apple store and be nice, and hope like hell they replace it for free. otherwise they'll offer you a 199 out of warranty replacement. The glass back you linked to on ebay is not what you need because it is only the glass, not the entire back assembly.

10. echang macrumors newbie

That is just the back glass ONLY - you will need to remove the cracked glass from the back frame and install the new one (using double sided tape or adhesive). You will also need to remove and re-install your camera lens as well.

OR

You can just purchase a OEM, ready to install back cover (with back frame and camera lens): http://www.chinaontrade.com/apple-iphone-4-back-cover-panel-black-with-back-frame-p-527.html.

11. bkb005 macrumors newbie

Broke mine recently phone is really fragile. Go to directfix.com they have the back glass assembly kits for sell. 99 dollars cheaper than a full replacement. Then you need an otterbox for sure.

12. Elysian macrumors member

I don't understand how people keep breaking theirs? I've dropped my development phone many times and even stepped on it once. I only have scratches on it.

13. calvy macrumors 65816

well i don't understand how you've dropped your several times and not had any glass shattered. I dropped mine ONCE from 2 or 3 feet up onto my garage floor, and though not a very violent fall, the back shattered into a million pieces. This phone is made of egg shells if you ask me. I'm glad state farm wrote me an insurance policy before it happened again.

Glad to see the links in here for the 100 dollar OEM parts. Last I had seen them they were 200 bucks, which was no better than an apple store replacement. Still, seems to me this part should be no more than 50 bucks.

14. Elysian macrumors member

I've dropped it on hardwood floors in my house and asphalt on my basketball court many times. Now I've dropped my personal iPhone 4 on the basketball course once and the drive ways asphalt a few times when getting in and out of the car.

Since I left my development phone at home, I'll post pictures of my personal one. You will notice only a few scratches. I don't use a case at all, I just have that green decal I put on it about a week ago because I love the color green.

And no, I've never had the antenna problem, just like the look of the decal.

DSC05169.JPG DSC05171.JPG
    DSC05172.JPG DSC05175.JPG
    DSC05177.JPG

15. calvy macrumors 65816

I just wonder if somehow those of us who have had such poor luck have also had iphones with weaknesses in them that others, like yours, don't have. doubtful, but i'm still amazed I cracked mine with such little effort. And now I'm afraid to use the thing without protection.