Dropped my Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by precator, Apr 4, 2011.

1. precator macrumors member

Glass shattered on front. Anyone know what my options are and how much it would cost to replace the screen approx?

2. nukem170 macrumors member

Well.. you can take it to the apple store and pay a hefty fee to get a replacement I believe. Or you can buy the digitizer + screen and do the replacement yourself.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

By Apple, I believe it's $199 to fix the front screen. Though you might get lucky just by bringing it in and showing to a Genius. They have been known to replace them for free sometimes.

4. Annerz macrumors regular

I cracked my screen and took it to Apple to get fixed. It would've cost $200 but they were really nice and swapped my phone for me. =)

5. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Or you could try and hang on for the next generation iPhone! Likely to be June/July but there have been rumours it won't be till 2012!

6. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

As other posters have mentioned, I would take it to Apple first and see what they say. Worst case scenario they tell you they can't fix it and best case scenario, they replace it for free.

Out of curiosity, did you have any kind of case or screen protector on the phone?

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I would take it to the Apple store and see what the Genius can do for ya.

Be honest about what happened :)

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There is no doubt that you need to take it to the Apple store.

Be nice to the geeks as a friend got his broken glass and dented SS bezel replaced free!

This you should try first.

9. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I dropped my Factory Unlocked iPhone 4 at the Canucks game on Saturday... One drop in it's entire life:

[​IMG]

I told the Genius exactly what happened and they swapped the phone for free. Took about 30 minutes since the IMEI had to be put through the unlock server.

10. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

They swapped mine out for free.

And now it's in a GOOD case.

11. precator thread starter macrumors member

they actually gave me a new Iphone 4. Now that is Apple Service! So Happy! I got a good case for it now too!

12. rekhyt macrumors 65816

What case? What one looks very cool. :)

13. japresl macrumors member

I just did this last week....I took it to a local mac repair store...took about 2 hours and $150 but it looks brand new again.

14. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

That's the best case ever - incase snap case

15. synagence macrumors 6502a

Apple just replaced a friend of mines phone.... he washed it in the washing machine ... so it was well and truly waterlogged and dead

He went in, explained sheepishly and apple dude just explained how it should cost £140 to replace but as a gesture of goodwill he'd swap it for free .... result = friend is now totally in love with apple's service = likely continued future customer

He'd originally taken it to carriers phone shop who'd told him they'd charge the price and would take 3 weeks to turn-around

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Nexus S Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Glass replacement fee: $199 (tops)
    Off contract next-gen iPhone: $599/699

Major difference there and OP was asking about repair options not 'should I get a new one at full price'.

17. ejfraser macrumors newbie

Just dropped mine the other day as well....Went to the apple store expecting to pay ~$199. Genius said they would swap it out this one time for free. I was in disbelief for sure!

However, it definitely made my day knowing that they fixed my clumsiness for free! Good luck OP

18. edk macrumors regular

not sure it can be the best case ever, if it didn't stop his screen damage.

something like the pixel HD will protect the corners - and just might absorb damage from falling...

...just saying... :)

19. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I can only repeat what others have said, and take it to an Apple Store. I dropped mine last October, and really didn't have money to pay the $199. So my mom and I went down to the Apple Store, and she was going to buy the replacement. The genius looked at it, said they could replace it for $199 and asked if he could take it in the back. After a few minutes he came out with a placement, asked me a few questions (which I answered truthfully; mainly if I admit damage was my fault), and then he showed me the screen of the Macbook saying it was $199 and then he pointed to the $0.00 amount on the screen and said "but, that's your price today".

Needless to say, I have never had a problem with Apple being helpful. Just be honest. You're not entitled to a free replacement, it is a courtesy, so don't go to an Apple Store expecting a free replacement, just know it can happen.

20. lannim macrumors member

Really a testament to apples customer service..that and their ability to hook lifelong customers..win-win for everybody