Dropped my iPhone 4. :(

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx, Apr 5, 2011.

1. xxxxsh4d0wxxxx macrumors newbie

Today is my 3rd day with my iPhone 4 for Verizon. I love the thing to death! I am originally an Android user, but ever since I saw the iPhone, I had to have one. :)

When I was getting out of my car, I had my phone on my lap, and had forgot it was there. It fell maybe a little bit over 1 foot from the ground. I freaked out and picked it up to find my case had taken the blow and it landed screen side up (Thank God!). I have the Speck Geo-Metric case. I wiped the dust off of it to find not a single abrasion on the case! I was amazed!

My main concern, is how does the iPhone 4 stand in terms of the touch sensitivity/accuracy being thrown off due to dropping it? The reason I am asking is because if an Android phone was dropped, you can kiss your touch accuracy goodbye (And for my Android, it only took a single drop, at the same height I dropped my iPhone). It would hit letters next to the letter you wanted to hit, during texting, etc.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The screen is fused to the glass, so the accuracy should remain as good as it ever was.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

For what it's worth, I've never heard of the touch accuracy being messed up after a drop. I think you're pretty safe. If anything like that happens, one trip to the apple store and I'm sure they can fix you up.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Possibly, but DON'T tell them that you dropped it. They will deny you service.

5. xxxxsh4d0wxxxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks guys!

Wasn't aware the glass made a big difference! It was in my garage (concrete floor), so without my case that would have been bye-bye iPhone 4. :eek:

Not sure why the Android was so sensitive that that stuff. I had a Motorola Droid and Droid X and they both would get "out of whack" after an accidental drop or two.

Strange.

Off the original topic: My iPhone seems to make a "rattle" noise when set on hard surfaces. I read it was something with the camera? I held down all of the function buttons (volume and wake/sleep) and it still does it. I noticed it the first day I had the phone.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

It is something with the camera, don't worry about it. Mine does it too :)

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

From a foot away, It wouldn't have been bye bye iPhone. But anyways, yeah, there haven't been any reported cases of touch screen accuracy being thrown off EVER. That ive seen anyways....

8. xxxxsh4d0wxxxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I read a few threads where a naked IP4 got dropped from 1 & 1/2 feet and shattered. It's all about the angle I suppose.

And that's good about the accuracy :), I wonder if being jostled and dropped messes with the internals of the phone and harming the chipset's processing capabilities.

Either way, dropping it can't be good. Just hope you have a good case I guess. :p

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I accidentally threw my iPhone 3GS without a case on it up in the air. It hit the ceiling with a little bit of force. Then it came down and hit where the carpet meets the wall. The only issue that arose out of that: a slight scratch on the plastic. I was shocked. It hit the ceiling and hit the floor from about a 7ft height. Amazing!

10. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Not sure why? It's because they are cheap pieces of plastic crap.

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You're correct, it's 100% about the angle. Plus, if it hits straight down flat on the glass, there's a 99% chance it wont break unless there's a small stone or something. It really requires a small concentrated hit to break these screen. You should see the videos of them testing the glass. This glass bends like CRAZY.

The iPad 2 glass, however, is ridiculous. It bends almost into a U. It's crazy.

12. kicko macrumors 65816

from what i have noticed you can drop your iphone from 12" and it can break or you can drop it from 12' and have it not break. It all depends

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Or 1000 feet.

14. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Yours will be fine. I've dropped mine twice from waist level to cement without any damage. Knock on wood there isn't a 3rd time.

15. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Hmm, may be a hint to get some accidental damage insurance.

16. xxxxsh4d0wxxxx thread starter macrumors newbie

Meh, my Verizon contracts end every year anyway (Not the 2 year program), so I am covered under Apple Care. Shouldn't be a big deal. If something fails internally they it will be covered granted I don't tell them it dropped. But if the screen cracks I'd obviously end up paying for it as you can't really explain your way out of that. Lol!

Like I said, I've got the Speck Geo-Metric case and a PS Anti-Glare screen protector. It seems like a good combo thus far. The Geo-Metric case has a lip around it that sticks out farther than the screen. I like it.

17. xyfish macrumors member

i thought touchscreens can be easily recalibrated? :confused: at least i see the option on my ex-omnia 2.

But i havent seen calibration for the iphone as yet

18. xxxxsh4d0wxxxx thread starter macrumors newbie

No the iPhone for sure doesn't. Even my Motorola Droid and Droid X didn't.