Dropped my Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booy44, Jul 21, 2011.

1. booy44 macrumors newbie

I dropped it a little while ago and now half the screen is white and sometimes it switches so I can see the whole screen, but when it does it goes in a weird neutral colour. Does that mean the digitizer is broke or is it something else?

Thanks

2. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Sounds like the LCD screen itself, rather than the digitizer, but you'll have to replace them both together since it's nearly impossible to cleanly separate them. Most places sell them pre-assembled (LCD + digitizer) anyway.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed with this, i think its the LCD as well the digitizer from what i understand is what makes it a touch screen so its only sensing your touch rather then doing anything to the image you see

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah, the OP has a problem with his LCD and not his digitizer. The LCD dictates what you see (that's just obvious) and the digitizer is what detects touch input.

With the 2G, 3G and 3Gs, the two pieces were separable but with the iPhone 4, the two pieces are bonded during manufacturing and trying to install the two replacement parts separately is only going to lead to headaches.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I agree with everyone else, it sounds like the LCD to me.

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

If it's still under warranty (or sometimes even if it's not) take it to Apple. A lot of people have had very good luck getting free repairs/replacements, even if you did drop it. Just be honest with them. You might get lucky.

7. booy44 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. booy44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try that and they sent me an email today after 1 month of them having it saying that they are sending it back unfixed

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Is there an Apple store you can go to? I've found the Geniuses are "more generous" with the rules than mailing something in for support.

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

He dropped it, therefore the warranty does not apply even if it's still in the warranty zone. The user caused physical damage. He's most likely looking at a $200 replacement but if he gets a nice genius they might replace it for free.