Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
... on the tile floor in my kitchen while removing it from the Apple bumper case so that I could replace my glossy screen film with anti-glare screen film. The bumper case acts like a big rubber band when you remove the phone from it, and in my case the phone slipped from my grasp and shot out as though fired from a weak slingshot -- right onto the floor, from a height of three feet.

Now there's a small, but noticeable-to-me-when-the-bumper-case-is-not-installed, gouge in the steel and the back glass at the lower-right corner of the phone. The phone still works, and the bumper case conceals the damage -- but I still know it's there. :mad:

Lesson to be learned: When removing phone from case, do so on your bed, or somewhere else where there's nothing that can damage the phone.

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Look at it this way... Your phone is still usable, and the GLASS didn't break. :O

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Look at it this way... Your phone is still usable, and the GLASS didn't break. :O

Good point.

Also post a pic if you get a chance.

Not pic or it didn't happen, just curious how bad or not bad it looks.

Sucks though and another reason why I didn't get the bumper. I like docks and hate to have to keep removing one to dock it.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Very sorry to hear about your iPhone, but in a very twisted way, it's kind of a relief to hear some onedropped the phone, just got some dings and marks, but the glass didn't shutter.

You know in good old days (pretty much till right before iPhone 4 came), if you drop a phone once or twice, you just get some scratches and dings, marks, etc. It's still a heartbreaking experience, yes, but then you can kind of forget about small scratches and marks, and actually start using the phone without babying it too much. That was the good times.

With iPhone 4, I've seen too many storys about "one drop, one shuttered glass." (or two) You either keep the phone in pristine shape for the whole life span, or your phone meats the sudden death with one faithful drop.

I'm glad your phone is still OK, and again, sorry to hear about the trouble.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Very sorry to hear about your iPhone, but in a very twisted way, it's kind of a relief to hear some onedropped the phone, just got some dings and marks, but the glass didn't shutter.

You know in good old days (pretty much till right before iPhone 4 came), if you drop a phone once or twice, you just get some scratches and dings, marks, etc. It's still a heartbreaking experience, yes, but then you can kind of forget about small scratches and marks, and actually start using the phone without babying it too much. That was the good times.

With iPhone 4, I've seen too many storys about "one drop, one shuttered glass." (or two) You either keep the phone in pristine shape for the whole life span, or your phone meats the sudden death with one faithful drop.

I'm glad your phone is still OK, and again, sorry to hear about the trouble.

I think once the babying period ends will find out the phone is tougher than we think. Sure there will still be reports of backs and fronts shattering, but that has been the case with all iPhones and cracked screens. Right now I'm impressed with how much more resistant my phone is to scratches, after the first day of my 3G the apple logo was totally scuffed up, but I don't have a single scratch on my current unit. (frantically starts knocking on wood)

Savage

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
What's even more ironic that you dropped and damaged your phone while specifically going out of your way to protect it more than what just the Bumper can do, is the fact that it was damaged in a place that the Bumper itself probably would have prevented.

Even though the Bumper hides the damage, like you said, you know it's still there and I feel your pain.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Not to be a hater, but the Apple bumper is a rigid frame with no elasticity. Is your bumper from Apple or someone else's?
Black Apple bumper.

And yes, it does have elasticity -- you have to stretch it slightly to get the phone in or out of it. Getting it in is actually easier -- it's just like cramming your foot into your shoe without using a shoehorn. You just put the bumper down on a flat surface and push the phone into it. To get it out, though, you have to stretch the bumper enough to be able to lever the phone out of it. This is precisely the moment when my grip on the phone wasn't tight enough and the phone shot out.

And again yes, it's completely ironic that my phone has been armored to the hilt (precisely for the purpose of keeping it in perfect condition) from the moment I got it and the ONE time I take it out of its case, it gets dinged. Based on this, I believe I have a good case for asking for a replacement phone -- I never had a phone damaged by (or because of) a case before.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Dang. Like a slingshot, eh?

Thanks for the warning. Good news is the glass didn't shatter at least. That is my biggest concern. I'm tired of all these OCD folks talking about scratches. Folks, it is a phone! I can tolerate light scratches, dead pixels, dust, and fingerprints. They shouldn't be most people's biggest worry. Nobody inspects for millimeter scruff marks when they buy a $50K car, do they? Function, quality of performance,having it stolen, or shattering glass should be of higher priority. Not tiny superficial marks that very few people would care to notice. The complaints about scratches just needs to go away. There are more important concerns with this phone.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
When I saw the title, I thought that I would be seeing shattered glass, but nope.

Consider yourself lucky and this thread a bit boring.

kallemia

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
From Apple's own product page: "Made of durable rubber and molded plastic"... the bumpers are made of two distinct kinds of material. When you install the phone in it, you push it through one of the durable rubber surrounds (one on the top, one on the bottom) - and then it's held between them. To remove it, you do have to push back through that rubber material... it is a little futzy to remove.

Not to be a hater, but the Apple bumper is a rigid frame with no elasticity. Is your bumper from Apple or someone else's?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

And again yes, it's completely ironic that my phone has been armored to the hilt (precisely for the purpose of keeping it in perfect condition) from the moment I got it and the ONE time I take it out of its case, it gets dinged. Based on this, I believe I have a good case for asking for a replacement phone -- I never had a phone damaged by (or because of) a case before.

I hope you are kidding

Did Apple drop the phone? no, YOU did:cool:

Did the case damage the phone? no, it was your fumbling of the phone while messing with the case that did...

PG-Monkey

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I hope you are kidding

Did Apple drop the phone? no, YOU did:cool:

Did the case damage the phone? no, it was your fumbling of the phone while messing with the case that did...

Based on the fact that someone crashed into my car because my tail light was out I feel that ford owe me a new car.

I've never had a problem with people crashing into my car before.

iUser4Lyfe

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009

Wow. Your serious?

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
Dang. Like a slingshot, eh?

Thanks for the warning. Good news is the glass didn't shatter at least. That is my biggest concern. I'm tired of all these OCD folks talking about scratches. Folks, it is a phone! I can tolerate light scratches, dead pixels, dust, and fingerprints. They shouldn't be most people's biggest worry. Nobody inspects for millimeter scruff marks when they buy a $50K car, do they? Function, quality of performance,having it stolen, or shattering glass should be of higher priority. Not tiny superficial marks that very few people would care to notice. The complaints about scratches just needs to go away. There are more important concerns with this phone.

Your next iPhone will have tons of scratches, dust, and dead pixels all over it just because you said that. Karma's a bitch.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
... on the tile floor in my kitchen while removing it from the Apple bumper case so that I could replace my glossy screen film with anti-glare screen film. The bumper case acts like a big rubber band when you remove the phone from it, and in my case the phone slipped from my grasp and shot out as though fired from a weak slingshot -- right onto the floor, from a height of three feet.

Now there's a small, but noticeable-to-me-when-the-bumper-case-is-not-installed, gouge in the steel and the back glass at the lower-right corner of the phone. The phone still works, and the bumper case conceals the damage -- but I still know it's there. :mad:

Lesson to be learned: When removing phone from case, do so on your bed, or somewhere else where there's nothing that can damage the phone.

I feel your pain....but seriously, isn't this common sense?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.