Dropped my iPhone 5 and now it has a strange artefact in photos, what to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk3pt1c, Jan 19, 2014.

1. sk3pt1c, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014

sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Dropped my iPhone 5 on the floor from my desk (nudged it over at night, didn't even see it fall to try to catch it or break the fall).

Now when i fire up the camera there is a strange artefact on the top left of the screen. It shows up in the app as well as in photos taken.

This only happens with the rear facing camera, which was closer to the point of impact.

The phone itself just got a little nick, i wasn't expecting any internal damage.

Here is a sample photo and a close up of the artefact.

What do you think it is and what should i do?

Sadly, i live in greece and there are no apple stores here, trying to return or getting the phone fixed will probably mean they'll have to take it off me for some time and i'm not sure i can be phone-less for any length of time.

Thanks for any help!!!

PS. If i don't focus on it, it doesn't show in the image, here's a sample (it should be in the top left here).

2. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

It's probably dust under the lens. Look at this video for a half-simple solution to getting it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHk_6bauK0

I think you could get the tools you need relatively cheap on eBay (I'm thinking the screwdriver, I think it's a special kind of Torx head) and use a guitar pick instead of spudger etc. Just make sure you use compressed air in a can when cleaning. Anything other contains other particles and won't work as well.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Thanks for that! Dust was my original thought, but would it be this much in focus if it's that close to the lens?

I have tools to open iPhones, i just don't have the screwdriver for the iPhone 5, might need a kit for that.

Will drive by the store where i got the phone from later and ask what the procedure for defects is.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Dust in the camera sensor is a warranty issue even though in your case it's probably caused by your drop.

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Yeah, I know it's more than likely my fault but I can't afford to get a new one or even buy parts to fix it right now since I'm currently unemployed so I'll have to rely on their kindness :)

I went to the store and the dude said they'd probably replace it but I'd be without a phone for around 10 days cause they'd have to send it out to get checked and either fixed or replaced.

It is still within the warranty, I got it less than 5 months ago.

So weighing my options and trying to see if I can find a replacement for that time (cause I need a phone since I'm sending CVs and stuff).

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I didn't say you should admit it's your fault ;)

For a burner, go to Walmart or BestBuy; they sell those AT&T flip phones for like $10 (seriously!).

I've also dropped an iPhone and ended up with dust under the camera glass; the store replaced as well; I just failed to mention the part where I dropped it, though it had obvious drop marks.

7. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Yeah, pretty much the same deal here.

No Walmart or BestBuy in Greece but i get your drift, thing is i have a micro sim for the iPhone 5, will have to sort that out too and that costs. Thanks for the tip though, i might ask the store if they have a device they can give me(?).

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry, forgot the part where you said you're in Greece, but nonetheless look for a cheap throwaway phone to use. All you need is a SIM adapter to use with a different phone.

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It being in very sharp focus means it is on the sensor and not the lens. Going to have to take it apart to remove.

10. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

to be honest i was kinda hoping it wouldn't be that but guessed it might. can something actually get on the sensor or could it be broken and in need of a replacement?

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It should not need replacing. There is a piece of debris on your sensor. This debris can be left over from the factory or something that migrated from your pocket into the phone.

Because you are in Greece, your options are limited. Either you send it to Apple where they should fix/replace under warranty or you find someone in your country who can pop open the case and clean the sensor. I am not even sure if you can get to the sensor as the camera might be a sealed unit.

12. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Cool, thank you!!!