Dropped my iphone 5 HELP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wanitto, Jun 26, 2014.

1. wanitto macrumors newbie

I dropped my iphone 5 (fully updated) from a couple of feet last night. After veeery slowly running out of battery, it doesn't turn on, nor does the PC recognise it. However, when connected to power, it still 'charges'.

I changed my battery two months ago (very carefully), but the battery cable had a very small cut. It worked very well, so I assumed it was fine. After the drop, the phone's charge wouldn't increase, even while indicating that it is charging. After that, the phone started switching off and rebooting more and more often, while staying at a 3-4% charge. Opening my phone today, I noticed the cut had gotten bigger. So I changed the battery again, turned the phone back but the charge was still 3% and it wouldn't charge. It has now turned off.

I've tried resetting (only thing to do in this situation?)

I also posted this in the apple support communities: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6417925

Can you help?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

I'm sure your aware any warranty is voided due to work being carried out by yourself.

Do you have any insurance policies to claim on.

House , or bank or apple care +

How you claim it's faulty is your business.

Don't drive over it. ;)

3. wanitto thread starter macrumors newbie

I am looking for a DIY method. Thanks for the reply anyway.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

No worries.

May then be time to take it to a cellphone shop

5. wanitto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    I have all the tools with me and I can order spare parts. If you have any clue on how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry but part of the process of fixing your phone is figuring out what is wrong with it and that will be hard for anyone to do without having the knowledge and hands on time with the device.

How could anyone, here, tell you what is wrong?:eek:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. 617aircav Suspended

Bingo.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Is is the cable going from the battery to the logic board?

If so, I would start with a new battery.

If you have the tools, then why not open the phone and check the cable rather than asking here?

10. wanitto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried all I know. The battery WAS faulty, so I changed it, which solved part of the problem. Now the phone indicates 'charging' when plugged in but it doesn't charge or switch on. In fact, the new battery I put in was at 100% charge before going in, and once inside, it only indicated 3% and died after a couple of hours.

Also, the battery connections inside seem fine.

11. AlexJaye macrumors regular

The risk you take of messing with iPhones, voiding the warranty, is not even worth it it seems. It is an Apple product, and they are trying to find ways to screw their customers in this area more and more now, even with their computers. In the future, just buy a new battery if it's that important.

12. wanitto thread starter macrumors newbie

I've ALREADY voided the warranty, so I've got nothing to lose.

UPDATE: It is very confusing and runs counter to all the advice I have received so far.

A small recap:
    - 2 months ago: replaced original apple battery (myself) with a sub-standard one with a small rip.
    - last week: dropped the phone, causing the rip to grow and rendering the battery useless. Replaced battery with a new apple-certified battery (done in a shop). Phone died once battery ran out, would not take charge, would not be recognised by PC but would display "charging" when plugged in.
    - today: re-replaced the original apple battery (myself) and everything seems to be working and charging as it should.

Was the problem with the new-shop-replaced-apple-certified battery? Or was it a problem with the Logic Board (in which case, the phone working is an anomaly and will stop working at any time, or with the next shock)?

OR is Apple messing with us and programmed the phone to not accept replacement batteries?

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Lol you can't blame Apple for this. They don't program phones to not accept replacement batteries. It is, however, possible that if you obtained the battery from anywhere other than an Apple certified place, the battery wasn't OEM (there are LOADS of chinese copies floating around on the market, which can cause issues further down the road.

If anything, either the battery or drop has damaged the charging circuitry on the MLB. It happens. There is no "this is the answer" answer. It's just a case of good old fashioned electronic diagnostics. Inspect every cable, check all solder points, check for blown caps, cracks in the PCB, etc, etc.

Chances are that the phone is now beyond repair.

14. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Maybe you damaged the U2 IC chip? That chip is responsible for controlling charging. IDK, just putting that out there. I don't do repairs on my iPhone so I'm not well versed on this.

15. wanitto thread starter macrumors newbie

It's easy to blame Apple for anything that goes wrong with their phone (I'm definitely not going to blame myself). Though, I am starting to shift blame onto that repair shop.

As I said, the phone works perfectly fine with the original battery back in place! So should I blame the repair shop? (in which case, I could claim 60 euros back for their alleged 'fixing' of my phone).

I did look into this and found that, if it was a problem with the U2 IC chip, as I had been told it could be, then the phone wouldn't even display as 'charging' when plugged in... just a blank screen. Instead the phone said it was charging, but it never switched on!

16. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Take it to a professional to repair. No offence but you don't know what you are doing so why risk making things worse?

17. wanitto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Steve.
    Well, I try my best not to take risks and I inform myself as much as possible before opening the phone.
    ALSO, i DID take it to a professional earlier today. And he told me the shop-replaced battery was faulty and that there was no issue with my Logic Board. So problem solved really .... also makes me distrust professional repair people in the future.