Dropped my iPhone in the bath - white screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blizeH, Jul 28, 2010.

1. blizeH macrumors 6502

Eek.

Accidentally dropped my iPhone into the bath, I got it out right away and at the time it looked fine, but then it started vibrating like crazy and the screen went nuts, before eventually going (and staying) white.

I tried to dry it out a little with a hair dryer, and I'm about to try the whole stick it in some rice and place it in a warm place thing, but the screen is still flashing white, has some wierd lines on it, and I can't turn it off!

Is there anyway to completely force the thing to turn off please? :/ Not that I have much hope the rice/hot place thing will work anyway...

Thanks

2. Alxvasqz12 macrumors member

You need to look into getting a new iPhone

3. iCaleb macrumors 6502

To turn the screen off just.......drop it in the toilet , shower , and dishwasher then i would think it would shut down.;)

4. iCaleb macrumors 6502

5. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Would now be a good time to order an iPhone 4G then? I'm kinda worried about the antenna issues. Almost tempted to get a second hand 3GS or something so if I do something similar I won't care as it's not worth so much :\

So annoyed with myself though. All of that info lost too, my photos, contacts, messages, notes, to do lists and all of my app/save data - ARGH! I'm still mildly optimistic there's maybe a 20% chance this rice thing will work, but god knows. Almost tempted to order a new phone now as I don't want to be without one for long. FML.

6. undercompensate macrumors member

I think some of that data was saved from your last sync/plug-in to itunes/your computer.

I've personally had no issues with the iphone 4g. If you are planning to get a new phone through Apple, that'd be the way I'd do it, especially with the free case program.

7. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, maybe the 4G is the way to go then. But I may stick out with the rice idea just for a day or two before rushing into anything.

Will probably order the phone through Tesco Mobile too since the contract is very reasonable compared to others.

8. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple want £146 to replace my iPhone. Seems like I may have to go that route then, whether I get a 4G in the mean time and sell my 3G when I get the replacement, or just keep the 3G, hmm! Seems kinda costly but well worth it I guess. And a lot better than throwing mine in the bin :)

I'm thinking if the rice trick works, I'll keep my current phone (apps, data and all) whereas if I need to send it off for a replacement, I may as well just get an iPhone 4 ;o

9. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

SUPER SCAM, none of these unlock sites are real. Unlocks and JB's are always free. they always are and always will be. These sites take your money, then tell you that you'll get the unlock when it's ready. which is the same exact thing that gets released by the real developers when they finish it.

10. BrokeMyi macrumors newbie

bilzeh,
    It seems that the LCD may have been damaged when it was dropped. Does the iPhone recieve calls normaly and can itunes recognize it?

If not, then it seems your iPhone has water damage. That usually can be fixed.

11. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

12. pisces03x macrumors regular

Out-of-warranty replacements are this costly, sadly. :/ But it's still cheaper than purchasing the phone outright! :D

13. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, thanks so much guys, I'll definitely avoid that unlock site then!

BrokeMyi... the same BrokeMyi that was featured on Revision 3 recently? Awesome if so! \o/ Thanks for the reply, I haven't had a chance to check it yet unfortunately as it's going to be stuck in the airing cupboard in a sealed bag of rice until tomorrow morning, but fingers crossed.

And yup pices! I think I'd actually be better off selling it to one of those 'we take any phone' places, one quoted £79 I think for a non working iPhone 3G? So tempted to get a 4G anyway though, on my own contract, eek.

14. adulti macrumors newbie

same problem

i have totally the same trouble as yours, i left it in my draw there for 2 days and found it shut down!:mad:

I have ordered iphone4 on apple.com, may receive it this week.

15. cirial macrumors regular

You won't find an iPhone 4g to order, just iPhone 4. It's NOT a 4g phone..

16. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, yeah sorry I meant iPhone 4 ^

Just tried to turn mine on, and nothing, d'oh.

17. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick question - I've been quoted £139 to get my phone replaced with a refurbished 3G which I'm tempted by, but does anyone please know if you can spend a bit extra to get a refurbished 3GS?

I was on hold to Applecare for over 30 minutes today and didn't really fancy going through that again when I'm supposed to be at work ;_;

18. zac4mac macrumors 6502

zac4mac

My original iPhone has been thru the washing machine TWICE and is still working fine.
    Let it dry out for a day or two, plug it in and I'll bet yours is OK too.

Tired of trying to kill it, waiting for the FedEx truck to deliver my new iP4.

Zack