Dropped my iPhone in the toilet like a dumbass

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mb13, Jul 17, 2012.

1. mb13 macrumors newbie

yeah, i'm stupid but whatever.

It was in my pocket (loose) and i reached to get something off the counter and it fell out and landed in the toilet. I grabbed it immediately....it was under water for probably 3 seconds (ish) and took it out and dried it on a towel. I had a case on it so i guess that may have helped? (typical speck case hard shell soft inside) but i took that off and put the phone in a bowl of rice like i had heard to do before. It's been probably 20 minutes since it happened and i'm freaking out.

When i took it out of the water it was on, then it went to the "slide to power off screen" and then went black. I didnt touch any buttons.

is it done for good or should it work after a little bit?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You didn't wait nearly long enough before you turned it back on, you're supposed to wait at least 24 hours, some go as long as a week. Now that you've turned it on with water likely still on the board, its likely fried :(

3. mb13 thread starter macrumors newbie

i didnt turn it back on. it turned itself off and i put it in some rice and it's been sitting there. I havent touched it since.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Leave it in the rice for a couple of days and pray. :)

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Whoops, misread the OP. Keep it in the rice for as long as you can stand it!

6. SplitIt! macrumors newbie

SplitIt!

I did the same thing a few years back (iPhone 3G). I immediately turned the phone off, put it in a bowl of rice, but unlike most people, I had a drybox in my chemistry lab. I ran it up to the lab and stuck it in the drybox. After 3 days of intense drying, I turned it on ... and to my amazement, it actually worked.

It did work, but if it ever got too humid, the screen would wash out as if the alpha value got all f'ed up. It would stay in that state for a while until it would randomly start working normally again.

Good luck!

7. mb13 thread starter macrumors newbie

ah i need it tomorrow! is there a faster way???!

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

There isn't. The longer you keep it in there, the better the chances are of it living. Theres a chance it could be okay tomorrow, but it's far from a sure thing.

9. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

One day of drying isn't likely to do you much good at this point
    You may have better luck taking it to an Apple Store and pleading for their mercy

10. mb13 thread starter macrumors newbie

what kind of repair would it require? and how much does it cost at the most?

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you go this route (I would) just be honest with them. They see this every day and are constantly lied to as to how the liquid sensors went off. If you're honest and explain how it happened and just leave it with a "is there anything you can do to help me out," they will be much more likely to work with you. With that said, they're not required to do anything so don't get your hopes up!

----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but $150 for a replacement? Might be different considering his circumstances.