Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sindinha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Guys, my iPhone felt on the toilet, I imedialty took and dried with towels. Then, I left on a Tupperware full of rice to exactly 3 days... Today, I tried to turn on and nothing.

I put the phone to charge and the low Battery bar comes up, suddenly disappears and the apple logo appears and fade out leaving only the black screen (u can tell it's on because of the brightness)...

Now, I left the phone charging to see if it works...

Any ideas? Should I put back on the rice?

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
My friend had his iPhone dropped in a water bottle never turned on until 3 months later, and the home button never worked.

sindinha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
All right guys, I tried to restore with iTunes, When i plug on the pc, the itunes recognizes it and shows that's in the recovery mode.

I downloaded the update and etc, when prompted to restore, my iphone shows the progress bar under the apple logo and then... a blue screen appears and the itunes says the restore could not be complted...

i'm screwed :(

moptart

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
Guys, my iPhone felt on the toilet, I imedialty took and dried with towels. Then, I left on a Tupperware full of rice to exactly 3 days... Today, I tried to turn on and nothing.

I put the phone to charge and the low Battery bar comes up, suddenly disappears and the apple logo appears and fade out leaving only the black screen (u can tell it's on because of the brightness)...

Now, I left the phone charging to see if it works...

Any ideas? Should I put back on the rice?

Which Iphone do you have? I have an iphone 6+ and dropped it in a deep bathtub of water 2 times! I retrieved it immediately after the 1st drop, then it slipped out of my hands and fell in a 2nd time.

After that, I dried the phone off, powered it down and put it in a bag of rice for about 20 hours.

It's been working flawlessly for almost 2 weeks (knock on wood)!

sindinha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Which Iphone do you have? I have an iphone 6+ and dropped it in a deep bathtub of water 2 times! I retrieved it immediately after the 1st drop, then it slipped out of my hands and fell in a 2nd time.

After that, I dried the phone off, powered it down and put it in a bag of rice for about 20 hours.

It's been working flawlessly for almost 2 weeks (knock on wood)!

5s

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
All right guys, I tried to restore with iTunes, When i plug on the pc, the itunes recognizes it and shows that's in the recovery mode.

I downloaded the update and etc, when prompted to restore, my iphone shows the progress bar under the apple logo and then... a blue screen appears and the itunes says the restore could not be complted...

i'm screwed :(

Its shorted out.
You think restoring it with itunes will magically repair the shorts and liquid damage your cause? You dont get it still.
Keep trying though, after 1000 it might work:D

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
my iPhone 6 was drenched in heavy rain in the middle of the road for hours. Fully functional.
Hard to believe the 5S would break immediately after 1 drop.

UNLESS...OP had peed into the toilet prior to dropping it.
In which case, the toilet water would effectively be saline water - highly conductive to electricity. In this case, even an instantaneous exposure would short the phone.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
my iPhone 6 was drenched in heavy rain in the middle of the road for hours. Fully functional.

I remember reading something when the 6 came out that Apple put some rubber seals around the switches with the 6/6+ to help with brief water exposures, so that might explain why the 5S is more easily drowned.

sindinha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014

UNLESS...OP had peed into the toilet prior to dropping it.
In which case, the toilet water would effectively be saline water - highly conductive to electricity. In this case, even an instantaneous exposure would short the phone.

Exactly, when it dropped I immediately took out

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Consider your case a very very rare occurrence.
Doesn't mean because yours miraculously survived certain death that every other device will work fine after getting wet.
Or they might work for a little bit and then corrosion will start setting in and most internal electronics will start to fail.
Hard to believe after 1 drop in water that it will short?
Lack of logic...

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I dropped my iPhone in the water (not toilet) and I shook out the water from the ports really good before putting it in a bag of rice. The water still can be trapped in the usb ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.