Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowthisstinks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
I am in the bad habit of using my iPod touch on the toilet, it is 6th Gen. iOS does not matter in this instance. Long story short I had a nosebleed, freaked out, forgot which hand was holding the blood stained Kleenex that I wanted to throw down the drain and my iPod went into the toilet instead.

At this time my iPod was actually out of battery so it was already powered off when it landed into the toilet. I don't drink as much water as I should so I'm afraid the urine might've been way more damaging due to how concentrated it would be.

I immediately took it out a second or two after it fell out, wiped it down with kleene and then cleaned it with some alcohol wipe, and then stuck it into a bag of rice. Have not tried powering it on ever since which was about ten min ago. Any advice? Tips or similar experiences? Thank you.

This is not a troll post I'm legit scared because I write a **** ton my stories on there and I don't want to lose this iPod data. Any advice to increase my iPods chance of survival from this experience would be helpful. thank you

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Many people swear by using a bag of rice, so sounds like you did the right thing.

I agree with Elitegate on backing up your iPod.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I think the most worrisome factor is gonna be corrosion of the metal, but hopefully not much entered the unit. I'd wait 2 weeks (if possible) for it to dry out, but if the board corrodes you're out of luck. Hopefully, even if it is damaged it powers up enough for you to do a data backup.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Since it was powered off. It has a much better chance of surviving. It's not the liquid that kills. It's short circuits caused by the liquid while energized. Opening it up would be better for drying. Plus you can disconnect the battery.

Not sure about the corrosive effects of urine residue. With it opened up and the battery disconnected. It may be a good idea to flush the motherboard side with alcohol and wipe down the inside of the screen.

Also, don't flush Kleenex down the toilet. It doesn't break down like toilet paper. It can cause clogs in the sewage system of your house or contribute to clogs down the line. Toilet paper is designed to rapidly break down on contact with water.

Reactions: retta283
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.