Dropped My iPod touch... On The Carpet.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dhfola, Feb 11, 2010.

1. dhfola macrumors newbie

i got a 2G iPod touch 8gb (Jailbroken (It have been for a while since the drop) and it won't turn on. i tried DFU mode. Tried Pressing the buttons. to unfreeze. I think it may be wires. i tried banging it on my knee. but have not tried redoing what i did. I live in australia in perth. and there is a Apple store. opening soon. but i need it fixed soon. what should i do? contact apple?

Ask for more info.

Please help :)

2. markojug macrumors regular

This post makes no sense. Please clarify without using lots of periods

Just try restoring your device.

3. RobMoss macrumors regular

Fixed that so the OP will understand.

4. tenand2indy macrumors member

I can't believe that didn't fix it.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP call Apple. The number is on their website. www.apple.com/au/
    They'll take it back in if it's under warranty and bang it against their knee to see if it can be fixed. ;)

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

First good laugh of the day. :)

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Well, whaddaya know? We finally have a celebrity on MacRumors! Welcome, Mr. Shatner. :D

All kidding aside, OP, call Apple. It's worth a shot.

8. markojug macrumors regular

Way to go smart one.Just his post didn't make sense at first, didn't have to do that:rolleyes:

It just seems weird that dropping it on the carpet would do such a thing to the poor iPod. I dropped mine on the floor quite a few times and no side effects.

9. Mr.Goodbar macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

maybe there was a faulty connection on the inside?:rolleyes:

10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Have you guys heard of lamebook.com

there should be a lamebook for macrumors..in these types of situations..:D:eek:

11. baslotto macrumors regular

I fix a lot of Apple products as a job and usually the first thing I try is banging them on my knees. If that doesn't work I try my wife's knees.
    That usually fixes the problem.

12. pooryou macrumors 65816

It was clearly a joke, and not even directed at you :confused:

13. wbe858 macrumors member

You would be surprised how hitting stuff actually works. I had an old sony receiver that only played music out of the right speaker, well that is until you gave it a good whack on the side, then boom, all speakers working just fine. It was the weirdest thing and all my friends would laugh at me.:eek: And come on the old style TV's with the vertical scrolling when the signal was crap, i saw a lot of people banging on those to no avail though.

But to the real problem, just try restoring it and if you cant call apple, it can't hurt.

14. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Disassemble it and check all wire connections - then put it back together. You should be able to find a disassembly guide over at iFixit.

EDIT: For the record - I drop mine all the time, and so far it's done no harm (about 2 years old).

15. dhfola thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the tools. i know how to open it but do i need the tools. and i cannot get them rightn ow.. Can i use something else like knife ect.?

16. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

for something like this to happen, there was probably something wrong with your ipod from the get-go. i don't know. what's wrong. with your ipod. sadface.

17. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

So, if I understand it right, you are in jail and are trying to break out. You tried something but it didn't turn you on. If it had buttons and it was frozen, I'm not surprised. You were banging on the knee (nice!) with wires (bad boy!), but you don't do it again (I wanted to suggest that). Somebody likes periods (AH!). And you need apple from the store.

Well, first of all, I'm sorry that it took so long to make sense of your coded message from the prison.

Try software recovery by iTunes first. If it fails, you should take it back to Apple. Hopefully, there is nothing that can tell that there was a drop. As long as they cannot see it, they supplied the iPod and it is under warranty, I see no problem.

But next time, with your replaced iPod Touch, please visit the App Store's 'Education' section!

18. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

You might as well get out the "fixes everything" brick, because you will do an equal amount of damage with that.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP, did you call Apple or are you sitting around scratching your head? You may be able to get it fixed. Don't open the device until you know.

20. RobMoss macrumors regular

I think markojug is waiting for the sense of humour 2.0 update to be released. ;)

21. nathan271 macrumors newbie

banging it on knee

so my friend dropped my ipod now it wont turn on... i read around and thought it was funny so i banged it on my knee and then tried to turn it on and... IT WORKED!!!! i was lmfao while it started up. then i used it for less then a minute and it froze up and wont turn on again. i actually joined this just to share this
    and i tried banging it on other things many times before to make it work