Dropped my Macbook Pro, dead pixels??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmyjam14, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jimmyjam14 macrumors newbie

I checked my harddrive thru disk utility and it seems to be ok.

but there are random colored pixels popping up all over my screen, and most of them seem to be flashing and moving across the screen in patterns. are these dead pixels?

What should I do about this? My mac is only a few months old, and I've got the Apple Care plan going on. preferably, i wana fix this myself cuz i wont have time to visit my not-so-local apple store for a while (im a college student with finals comin up, and no car) T_T

thanks a lot guys

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare does not cover accidental damage. You'll have to pay for any repairs needed. You can't repair damaged pixels. You'd have to replace the screen.

3. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Yeah if you dropped it you have a good chance at damaging some of the pixels, although the fact that they move is quite odd. id get it checked out but its gonna be an out of pocket cost cause applecare doesnt cover accidental damage...

4. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

5. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

moving isn't that odd since he dropped it.

If there is no sign of fall damage then take it to Apple. If there is then buy a screen from eBay and Google a replacement guide. I've done it before on MacBook was not that difficult if following the guide and being a little careful seeing how you might have moving pixels and it might be because of the liquid in LCD.

6. ApplFTW macrumors newbie

There are no visible signs of damage at all?? You could try your luck at the apple store...good luck though

7. joris538 macrumors member

I don't think it are dead pixels, since you can't bring death to life, thus they can't move over the screen. Hope they can/will repair it!

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Dead pixels are stagnant; they don't move around the screen, they don't change color, they just sit there, taunting you. Your computer suffers from a different malady.

9. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I knew i was right!

10. Liqwid macrumors newbie

Pixels do not move. It doesn't sound like a faulty display at all to me, but a faulty graphics card. The graphics hardware is what actually sends the pixels their signal and the weird color changing patterns makes me think that it has the problem.

It reminds me of when I would overclock a graphics card too far and then get artifacts on my display. I think a new display would be cheaper than a new logic board though.....

11. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

But a new logic board is easier to get under warranty. The fault could be blamed as Overheating and such. That is if there are NO dings on the laptop...

12. deeesea macrumors 6502

If there's not cosmetic damage, you bring that to apple and say how it just randomly started doing that. If they tell you it looks like it's from accidental damage, you lie through your teeth and tell em there's no cosmetic damage and etc etc..

I've gotten apple to replace a 5.5 gen video that's had a smashed LCD screen on the inside but not a single scratch on the outside (thanks to bestskinsever :D). They were puzzled, but they did it anyways ha. Suckers.

13. Liqwid macrumors newbie

Wow. I am glad people have so much integrity these days.