Dropped my macbook pro, drive not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guidoverduci, Aug 13, 2011.

1. guidoverduci macrumors member

Oh the irony... I have a brand new macbook pro w/ 128gb ssd and a 750 HD optibay. The computer fell from about 4 feet and landed flat. I assumed if anything the HD my be toast because it doesn't have the protection in the optibay spot, but nope... the ssd is toast. The one with no moving parts!

Here's my question... I got a new drive on the way. When it comes, I'll have to install snow leopard on it because I don't have any install discs for lion. Then I'll upgrade to lion. My 750HD had my OS lion home folder on it. What happens when I install the snow leopard on my new ssd since the home folder is lion on the other HD? Obviously it's going to create a new home folder on the ssd, then I'm going to upgrade to lion, then I'll direct the new home folder to the HD (preferably w/ the same name)... will I run into any problems?

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Are you sure it's the SSD itself that's at fault, and not a disconnection in the SATA or power connections between the SSD and logic board? SSDs have a much higher G force spec than hard drives. The fact that the drive is still working indicates that the impact shock wasn't extreme.

3. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Drambuie is right on target here....If you are upto it take off the bottom base and check all the connectors and make sure something didn't come loose. If that doesn't fix it take it to an Apple store and let them see what is going on.....but be honest about what happened. Things like this happen more often than you think. believe me those guys have seen it all....

4. guidoverduci thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I thought! I checked for loose connections, didn't see anything. I took the drive out and put it in my wife's MacBook pro, and the same thing happens... Gray screen w/ question mark box.

When I run the snow leopard restore, under disk utility, the drive does not show up. Actually, neither drive shows up. But when I put the HD back in the stock spot, it shows up under disk utility. Funny thing though, I took my wife's HD which is running SL, and put it in the ssd's place. It didn't work, but I assumed that's cause I had lion running previously and with the other hard drive in the optibay maybe it was confused... Now that I think about it... Maybe it's not the drive? ANYONE GOT ANY ADVICE?

5. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

That is too weird..... so it seems the SSD is toast but that makes no sense at all...with no moving parts is should survive a fall like that!! So could you now install everything on your 750 HD? Then clone it to the new SSD you have coming as a replacement?
    There is a utility that will search your MBP for the Lion install dmg and then burn it to a DVD for you so you can install it on the new drive when you get it....
    http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/