Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Hi,
I have this macbook pro which was recently dropped, and now the trackpad's click does not function.
I have read somewhere that in order to fix this you need to rotate that screw sitting on the trackpad.
But I'm not sure this is the solution for my issue, or is it just for trackpads which you can't physically click. Because I can click my trackpad, but nothing happens and it does not function.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Your battery may have been damaged or knocked out of place and is now pushing up on the bottom of the track pad. I'd suggest taking it in to Apple so they can look at it.

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Your battery may have been damaged or knocked out of place and is now pushing up on the bottom of the track pad. I'd suggest taking it in to Apple so they can look at it.

I'm not from the US so I can't take it to apple.
It's a 2010 macbook pro, bought it from a reseller company. They said it should cost something like 170$. I'd prefer to fix it myself.
Do you think it has anything to do with that screw? Or is it just the battery? The battery is still connected of course.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If it's out of warranty you may as well open it up and remove the battery and see if your trackpad clicks.

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
If it's out of warranty you may as well open it up and remove the battery and see if your trackpad clicks.

I can physically click my trackpad, but it just doesn't function on screen

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
remove the battery,check the cable,if everything seems fine,replace the trackpad, i bought one from ebay before with no problems so far.

Spyzz83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
remove the battery,check the cable,if everything seems fine,replace the trackpad, i bought one from ebay before with no problems so far.

I'll do it, but first I wanna know if it's possible to fix without replacing, so I'm gonna see. But does it has something to do with that screw?
Also how do I know which trackpad to buy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.