dropped my macbook pro..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uplift, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Uplift macrumors 6502

ive dropped my macbook pro and put a big dent in the aluminium on the corner, what are my options to apple fix that sort of stuff?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Apple doesn't repair accidental damage for free. As long as it still works, your probably just going to have to deal with a mbp with a dent in it.

3. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't mind paying if they would fix it? i've not had it long so i dont want a dent in it :(

the screen is also flickering when i move it back and forth

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It's gonna be a pretty hefty price to replace the case and fix the screen :eek: Bring it to a store to get an estimate.

5. Davichi macrumors 6502

Apple will most likely charge a lot of money for it. If you so wish to desire, then take it to apple store and have them take a look at it. We are talking about price from 500-700 dollars for fix and that doesn't include labor.

Some might say, Wow that's a lot. It is a lot, but they will charge that much.

6. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Have you got any pics of the dent, I am assuming it's on one of the corners.

I dropped mine and put a dent in the bottom right corner, thankfully everything worked as normal

7. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    its not the end of the world but i'd rather it wasn't there lol

i put it in my laptop bag then picked it up without securing the zip so it fell straight to the floor, luckily it was in a case otherwise it could of been a lot worse.

i paid £1500 for it so would like it to be perfect... it will even be hard to sell it now which i was thinking of doing to get the new model.

8. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

This happened to a friend of mine. The flickering is likely causes by pressure on the LCD. The pressure changes slightly when you move and flex it. If you can, do your best to relieve this pressure by taking out the dings a bit. If you have too, take it to an Apple certified technician to help you pop out the glass and LCD.

The case is a bigger problem. Again, you may be able to bang it out a little bit if your brave and take out components on the inside and gently push it out. Apple would have to take every single thing out of the computer and put it all in a new unibody case.

9. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Is it the screen or the bottom right corner (near the trackpad) that is dented. Can't really make it out from the pics

It was my screen that got dented on mine

10. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

11. ajs1991 macrumors newbie

I had a late 2007 Macbook Pro that I had dropped a few times and put some nice dents in it. I eventually had some screen issues which they had to replace my screen and logic board a few times. In the process they replaced all the housing and keyboard for free.

12. Mik3F macrumors 6502

I would book a Genius appointment to see what they say about the screen flickering. It may not even be related to dropping it. If you got a generous Genius then who knows what they may do ;)

13. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

i'll take it up (long drive) but hopefully it will be worth it.

14. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

only way to get it done right is thru apple...and it will be costly unfortunately.

good luck

15. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Ouch!

Oh boy, that doesn't look good. Right on the unibody portion too...

You can try checking with Apple to see what it will cost to repair your MBP, but as others have said, the price will probably be north of $500. Depending on the specific model you have, you might be able to find a replacement part (I found some possibilities at ifixit). This could be a very difficult repair if you attempt it yourself, and there's no guarantee you won't mess something up in the process.

16. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Take better care of your stuff and there would be no dent.

17. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Great advice, I'm sure the OP wants to hear that :rolleyes:

18. JacenLightrider macrumors newbie

It IS true though...careless ACCIDENT sure...but still we all rush too much and this is the consequence of trying to do too much!

19. htc fan macrumors 6502

If only you only had geek squad accidental warranty, it would been covered:rolleyes: