Dropped my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mansa, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mansa macrumors member

Is there any way to get a dint out of the aluminum macbook I just dropped mine and the corner of the lid is slightly bent over. hopefully nothing else is damaged.

Also is it better to turn of the hard drive when transporting I read a few posts that it is.

Thanks !

2. svndmvn Guest

corner of the lid bent over? what about the glass, are there gaps anywhere, you should probably just try and live with it and not try to bend it back the way it should be, with your hands or anything else, more damage could be caused..
    could you post a pic? I suggest you get a hard shell case..
    Your hard drive has a sensor so if you drop it I believe it should avoid damages on his own.. If not you better just close the Mac and put it to sleep before moving..

3. doreabe macrumors newbie

You may be able to disassemble the display to repair the bent corner. Is the damage only cosmetic? When the computer is asleep the hard drive is off. When you move the notebook abruptly the sudden motion sensor parks the hard drive heads to prevent damage.

Edit: ninja'd

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

go ahead and check the SMART status on your HDD. if anything less than great shows up - i'd recommend getting a new one - perhaps a SSD if you can afford it!

sorry that this happened i'd feel like crying if i dropped mine :(

5. mansa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I just bought a hard shell case they are look much nicer fixed on than I expected.

6. mansa thread starter macrumors member

SMART status verified. Does that mean it is ok ?

7. Mistar P macrumors newbie

R.I.P Macbook. I would hate to drop mine especially on cement or something.:(:(

8. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

if you were dead set on having it repaired it would cost you to replace the entire top lid. that falls somewhere between $600-$800.

i chose the new white macbook over the aluminum macbook for this exact reason - at some point in the life of the computer it will get dented and you just have to live with it. i woudln't be able to!

9. labyrinth23 macrumors newbie

Me too. I treat this new macbook better than I've ever treated any laptop I've owned. It's....just...(sniff)...so....(sniff).....beautiful. :eek:

10. Macdaddy67 macrumors newbie

haha I just got mine last week, and I could see myself in slow motion, throwing my body between the ground and the macbook before I let this thing hit the ground. :D

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

oOoo - pictures? :D

12. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

THIS IS SOMETHING FOR ALL TO KNOW:
    Aluminum is the second most malleable metal. It is the ninth most ductile metal. This means that it is sturdy, but VERY bendable. If you DROP it, it WILL distort, unless it fell on carpet or something. Only a case, or even film will fix that problem.

Aluminum is ideal because of weight, not because of protection.

13. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

no it will be really hard to get a "dint" out of it glad i never have dropped mine -knock on wood_

14. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but......

What's the most malleable?:D

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Gold

16. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

so where does stuff like lead and copper fit in?

17. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

That's why I love my glossy whitebook :) my mother dropped it one time on the floor (hardwood) and the right side where you rest your hand next to the trackpad cracked open from the lid but its still works but it looks ugly...thank god no hardware popped out :O!!