Dropped my MacBrook Pro/Superdrive Out of Whack?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macgirl89, Jul 18, 2010.

1. macgirl89 macrumors member

Hey, everybody. I fell asleep last night next to my computer. It was on and the lid was open, and it fell about 2 feet onto my carpet and landed on the back of the screen. I have a case on it and there aren't any scratches or dents. It did make a little noise coming from the right side when I first tried to use it again, and when I restarted it, it would not start up by itself. But! I tried to restart again and then it did work.

I checked Disk Utility and the hard drive "appears to be OK." I checked TechTool Deluxe and everything passed. I'm doing the (long and arduous) Surface Scan now. It's over a quarter of the way done and there are 0 errors.

The ONLY problem is that the superdrive seems to be out of whack. When I inserted a CD, the CD felt like it was hitting something. I had to maneuver the CD in order to get it passed whatever it was hitting. After I did this, it was able to go in all the way and the computer naturally tried to "grab" it, but I didn't allow that because I don't want it to get stuck when trying to eject.

Does it sound like something might have popped out of place? I have absolutely no experience with taking apart computers. I know iFixit has tutorials on how to do this, but I just want to know if it's necessary. Any advice on what to do, computer experts?

2. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

You can either go to the applestore and pay for the repair. If it's just knocked out of place maybe it wont be too much. If you need a new drive....

Or you can follow the iFixit guide and see what the inside looks like, but only if youre confident enough to do that.

3. elleana macrumors regular

It might be a bit of a stretch to disassemble the superdrive though. Best to take it to a genius to have it checked out.

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I dunno it sounds like something is just out of place because the cd drive is still trying to make a grab at it. Of course you can't be for sure unless you pop it open. It is pretty easy to open up the computer to see. What I would imagine is the problem is some how the cd drive is no longer tightened in place..