Dropped my MBA...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Y2JDMBFAN, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

Guys,

The worst thing possible occurred for me this morning...The MBA in it's Neoprene Sleeve slipped out of my hands and tumbled onto the concrete...It hit right on the corner on the bottom right of the trackpad and dented/scraped the bottom right of the case and the top right of the lcd casing...MBA still runs fine but looks like S**T now...Called up Applecare and was told it would be around $500 to replace the entire case...They are sending me a box...and was told it would be 1-2 weeks to repair. I love this little thing, a great toy to take everywhere with me along with my AT&T aircard...it is a great supplement to my Dell XPS M1710 work laptop and home custom-built Vista PC...I could probably take a few pics if you guys want to see what happened...Kinda sucks that it will cost me 1/3 of the cost to replace the case, but beauty is one of the best things about these things...I may look into some sort of thin hard case now... :( ...Also, I may wait a couple weeks to send it in, because I am going on a few trips that I may want to bring this baby with me on...

Y2J

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I wouldn't mind seeing pics, just to see how much damage it shows.

3. bence8810 macrumors member

bence8810

First of all, deeply sorry to hear your trouble :( Hope you get it sorted quick.
    I will store mine in a sleeve, and the sleeve goes into a bag. Its too precious to drop, and even if you care for it, mistakes happen.

I too wouldnt mind to see the pics, if you get to it,

Ben

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah bro, that sucks.

What about getting a sleeve or protective cover for the MBA to cover up the dents/scratches? A lot less than $500!

5. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

Did you read his statement? He said it was in a sleeve!

I would have to pay the $$$ for a new case as well...Can you claim that on your house insurance?

6. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

I'll post some pics shortly guys...I'm at work, so I need to do some "work" before I can take the pics...lol...

7. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

8. bence8810 macrumors member

bence8810

:(:( Makes me sad to see one like this. From how high did it hit the ground?

Ben

9. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

About 5 feet...I am about 6'4" and had it under my shoulder, kind of holding it like a football...

10. bence8810 macrumors member

bence8810

Well, its not only cosmetic, the whole housing is bent. It shows on one of the pictures,

Ben

11. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes I did, and did you read mine?!

What I was saying was that he could put it in another protective covering , like a skin that would cover the damage. A lot cheaper that $500 for a new case.

JUMP BACK INTO YOUR SKIN

12. bence8810 macrumors member

bence8810

:) Cultures clash, we hold footballs in a very different place :)

I see, I must say it took the hit quite well. I guess you are quite lucky to have it still alive. Is it SSD or HD?

Ben

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yeah, sorry just saw that last pic. Deleted post. You may be hosed.

14. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

HDD...Seems to be running fine, although I am using the XPS M1710 right now...I won't get the return box until Monday anyways, so I have the weekend to think about it, but I already setup a return on another toy I just picked up, Nokia N95-4, which I got cheap from Dell, in anticipation of having to pay for the repair...

15. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

$500 is a bargin. I remember Apple would charge me $1000 to fix my Macbook Pro case. I sold it and just got a new one.

16. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Wow that sucks. I know for a $1800 laptop you want it to look new forever, but I don't know how quick I would be to pay $500 to fix the case. I'd probably try and buff/sand/do something to it first. Too bad it's so new. MacBook and MacBook Pro case assemblies are so cheap on eBay.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ouch.. :(
    Feel for ya man... but atleast it's still ticking huh? But...

Huh? How could it get such a nasty dent if it's in it's sleeve? wasn't it zipped up or something?

18. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

It was in the sleeve, I wouldn't lie about that. It's just a pretty hard fall from about 5-6 feet to the solid concrete shop floor...

19. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

Well guys, I've bent the bottom part back straighter so there is no more gap...Now I wonder if I should even bother getting the whole thing replaced at this point for such a high price...

20. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

Well guys, I've bent the bottom part back straighter so there is no more gap...Now I wonder if I should even bother getting the whole thing replaced at this point for such a high price...I already have the return box on the way and have given them my credit card information.....I guess they can't really bill me for it if I never send it in, although I did get an e-mail confirmation...

21. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

It' sad.. but $500 is too much. Had it been $200-$300... it would still be worth it... just my opinion..

22. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I'd cancel and see about doing a little poly-fill and sand. If it still looks like hell then maybe get it fixed.

Or

Don't do anything. Wait until the next revision. Sell it on eBay for $1500 and then buy a new one. The 120G single platters are supposed to be out soon. So you'll see a bigger hard drive and possibly a 2.0 processor. That way you'll only be out $300 and you'll have a better machine.

You can almost guarantee that someone will give you $1500 for a worn Air.

23. bence8810 macrumors member

bence8810

I doubt this. If someone has $1500, they will likely to fork out the extra $300 for getting a new one. Don't forget, a machine that has been broken so badly, is out of warranty for HDD, Motherboard, LCD, etc.

Ben

24. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Damn, that sucks man. $500 to replace to case seems like a lot of money to me.

25. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the machine is not broken horribly badly, it just got dented, everything else still works great...Typing this on it now...