Dropped My MBP Today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lgwells1, Mar 5, 2012.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I bent down to tie my shoe before walking into the office, and my back pack with my MBP slid off my shoulder and onto the pavement. Nicked it up pretty good on the corners and left a small gash. Any way to remove these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'd probably try and soften those off a bit with a nail file or something so they're not so sharp.

No way to really 'fix' them though, no :(

Still, looks pretty minor, so as long as your MBP is still working fine you were somewhat lucky :)

4. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Those don''t look serious, I have some dents almost exactly like that. Invest in a good hard-shell case such as Speck, they provide some nice protection.

5. upbraid macrumors member

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Repaint? The MBP isn't painted. It's aluminum. The OP could try to buff out the damage, and that should get rid of the discoloration.

7. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

8. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

That stinks. Although I am not big on the hard covers. I would be now to cover up the damage. Incase perforated will do the job.

9. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

He obviously meant melt aluminum and then take a paint brush and brush over it until it looks normal again.

10. lgwells1, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I won't be adding a case to it. For some reason I cannot stand cases, guess I will just have to show off the battle scars.

I don't know if I am being paranoid or not, but it seems like it takes quite a bit longer to show the Apple Logo when booting.:confused:

11. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

yours is in way better shape then mine and I don't think I dropped mine... I think it was backpack use..

Anyway my screen is peeling apart, same corner as your problem. Computer still works great though.. Just affects resale value.

12. -MRB macrumors 6502

Lol nail file. Good luck with that ;)

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's powder-coated aluminum which is essentially painted aluminum.

14. bmacir macrumors 6502

You are probably paranoid, it's not that big of a deal: it's just a tiny dent.

Your macbook is fine.

15. shootist macrumors regular

Although I don't know for sure but IMHO MBPs are not powder coated. Powder coating is a fairly heavy plastic covering baked on. The unit does, I think, have a clear finish on it but it certainly isn't powder coated.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ouch, sorry to see what happened :(

Buff it out - its your only option.

17. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Don't quote me on this but i think its anodized aluminum but i am not sure

18. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

It is booting pretty slow this morning. Thought I would try the AHT, but that didn't work. I boot, hold down D, and it takes me to my desktop. WTF. 10.7.3 BTW.

19. shootist macrumors regular

You have to be Wired to the internet for the "d" AHT to work. It doesn't use WiFi when you try to use the online AHT.

Ethernet cable from computer to router.

20. danwayfilms macrumors member

Give the dents names!

Mine slide out of my book bag last year and dented the corner up a lot worse than yours. It kind of messed up the casing underneath so the innards are slightly exposed.

Still works fine though.

A couple weeks ago it fell flat upside down on concrete, having slid out of my book bag again. Worst sound I could ever imagine. Somehow, the damage was limited to a little dent near the speaker grill.

These computers can sure take a beating! It still seems to work (as expected for a slightly older model)

21. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

Very difficult to get that anodized look and texture though.

22. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I was able to run it, while sitting on my couch before. :confused: Same computer, still running the same load of Lion from when I unsheathed it from it's beautiful packaging.

23. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

Found another issue, this past weekend I downloaded Mountain Lion and created a partition for it on my HDD. I deleted the partition yesterday, and did not add the extra space back to my main partition of Lion. I just tried doing it, and it says and goes through the normal procedures, but then the partition slider goes back to where it was at 200GB instead of 260GB. I also have a Partition of Windows 7 if that matters.

24. shootist macrumors regular

In the drop it could of damaged the hard drive. I would back everything up ASAP.

Sadly I don't thing you can backup and restore the Windows partition successfully. So you might want to backup all you data from the Windows partition to a separate external drive.

25. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Just an FYI, they're anodized aluminum, not powder-coated. Anodizing is not painting. It thickens the oxide layer on the outside of the metal. Anodized items can be dyed different colors, like the iPod Nano, and then sealed. It's a much different process than painting.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-anodized-aluminum.htm