Dropped My MBP Today

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
COMO
I bent down to tie my shoe before walking into the office, and my back pack with my MBP slid off my shoulder and onto the pavement. Nicked it up pretty good on the corners and left a small gash. Any way to remove these?

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I'd probably try and soften those off a bit with a nail file or something so they're not so sharp.

No way to really 'fix' them though, no :(

Still, looks pretty minor, so as long as your MBP is still working fine you were somewhat lucky :)

IngerMan

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
That stinks. Although I am not big on the hard covers. I would be now to cover up the damage. Incase perforated will do the job.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Repaint? The MBP isn't painted. It's aluminum. The OP could try to buff out the damage, and that should get rid of the discoloration.
He obviously meant melt aluminum and then take a paint brush and brush over it until it looks normal again.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
COMO
I won't be adding a case to it. For some reason I cannot stand cases, guess I will just have to show off the battle scars.

I don't know if I am being paranoid or not, but it seems like it takes quite a bit longer to show the Apple Logo when booting.:confused:

Last edited:

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
yours is in way better shape then mine and I don't think I dropped mine... I think it was backpack use..

Anyway my screen is peeling apart, same corner as your problem. Computer still works great though.. Just affects resale value.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
I'd probably try and soften those off a bit with a nail file or something so they're not so sharp.

No way to really 'fix' them though, no :(

Still, looks pretty minor, so as long as your MBP is still working fine you were somewhat lucky :)
Lol nail file. Good luck with that ;)

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
I won't be adding a case to it. For some reason I cannot stand cases, guess I will just have to show off the battle scars.

I don't know if I am being paranoid or not, but it seems like it takes quite a bit longer to show the Apple Logo when booting.:confused:
You are probably paranoid, it's not that big of a deal: it's just a tiny dent.

Your macbook is fine.

shootist

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2011
It's powder-coated aluminum which is essentially painted aluminum.
Although I don't know for sure but IMHO MBPs are not powder coated. Powder coating is a fairly heavy plastic covering baked on. The unit does, I think, have a clear finish on it but it certainly isn't powder coated.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
COMO
It is booting pretty slow this morning. Thought I would try the AHT, but that didn't work. I boot, hold down D, and it takes me to my desktop. WTF. 10.7.3 BTW.

shootist

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2011
It is booting pretty slow this morning. Thought I would try the AHT, but that didn't work. I boot, hold down D, and it takes me to my desktop. WTF. 10.7.3 BTW.
You have to be Wired to the internet for the "d" AHT to work. It doesn't use WiFi when you try to use the online AHT.

Ethernet cable from computer to router.

danwayfilms

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
Give the dents names!

Mine slide out of my book bag last year and dented the corner up a lot worse than yours. It kind of messed up the casing underneath so the innards are slightly exposed.

Still works fine though.

A couple weeks ago it fell flat upside down on concrete, having slid out of my book bag again. Worst sound I could ever imagine. Somehow, the damage was limited to a little dent near the speaker grill.

These computers can sure take a beating! It still seems to work (as expected for a slightly older model)

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
COMO
You have to be Wired to the internet for the "d" AHT to work. It doesn't use WiFi when you try to use the online AHT.

Ethernet cable from computer to router.
I was able to run it, while sitting on my couch before. :confused: Same computer, still running the same load of Lion from when I unsheathed it from it's beautiful packaging.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
COMO
Found another issue, this past weekend I downloaded Mountain Lion and created a partition for it on my HDD. I deleted the partition yesterday, and did not add the extra space back to my main partition of Lion. I just tried doing it, and it says and goes through the normal procedures, but then the partition slider goes back to where it was at 200GB instead of 260GB. I also have a Partition of Windows 7 if that matters.

shootist

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2011
In the drop it could of damaged the hard drive. I would back everything up ASAP.

Sadly I don't thing you can backup and restore the Windows partition successfully. So you might want to backup all you data from the Windows partition to a separate external drive.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI