Dropped my Mid 2014 rMP 13 - bent lid :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amd is the best, Dec 5, 2014.

1. amd is the best macrumors member

I've owned three Macbooks since 2011 and have yet to have one incident with them so I guess I was due for one. Unfortunately my most expensive one yet :(

Luckily it is still perfectly fine as far as how it runs however the corner of the screen lid got bent a bit.

Does anyone know approximately how much this will cost to repair? Or can anyone point me in the direction of a new lid if I were to attempt this repair myself?

Should I just live with the damage?

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh man, the horror :(

I suspect it will be expensive because the top part of the laptop is laminated to the screen.

3. steve217 macrumors regular

steve217

Oh, man, sorry about your accident.

Get a quote from the Genius Bar; only you can decide if you can live with it.

For a $2000 computer, my threshold for fixing cosmetic damage would be around $300.

4. amd is the best thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully it's less but we'll see. I have an appointment for next Monday. There is an authorized Mac service provider locally that I plan to call today too just to have two options.

I want to fix it mainly for resale when the time comes but it'll also bother the crap out of me in the meantime :eek:

5. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

if you paid for it with credit card have you checked your credit card companies policies for accidental damage cover? Think some of them cover you for 3 months from date of purchase, possibly more

6. amd is the best thread starter macrumors member

I used the Apple Finance Barclay card. I ordered it right when the Mid 2014's came out which was in August I believe.

7. amd is the best thread starter macrumors member

Just spoke with the Authorized Apple repair place and they said the lid can not be replaced and that the whole screen assembly has to be replaced as a unit. $570 or so for the part and $140 labor.

:(

8. steve217 macrumors regular

steve217

Ouch!

So sorry. I would work on a good story for your battle-scar.

9. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

If you're out of luck with purchase protection then best bet is to leave it as is and hold onto it for a couple of years. I doubt it would knock more than couple of hundred bucks off the 'going rate' resale value by that point.

you lay out the 700 plus to get it fixed then Sods Law will likely have you ding it again a few weeks later