Dropped my new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Prawnstar69, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I bought a gold 5s last week and didn't put a case on it. Now I know I should have because I just dropped it on my way to school. The sides are scratched and it feels like the top right corner is loose when u press(just below power button).

It doesn't look beat up or anything but I feel like since it's just been a week I could get a replacement if I made up a good excuse somehow. Anyone one else been in this situation before?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Don't lie. Not only is it dishonest (obviously), but they'll see through it. What kind of excuse can you come up with? No matter what it is, it would be accidental damage which they won't cover.

Your best bet is to go in, tell them the truth, and see what they say. At least you'll be able to get an out of warranty replacement for $229.

There's always the chance you could get a super nice representative and they may offer a replacement. This is not likely, but your best bet of getting that to happen is by being honest. They'll appreciate honesty more than some half-assed excuse.

3. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I agree with Tyler, it's important to be honest. I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet and it got water damaged. I called AppleCare and told them exactly what happened and I got a replacement and only had to pay $50 (at the time I didn't know AppleCare had two accidental incidents, so I was relieved). Never lie because that will just bite you in the ass later.

4. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

You don't think Genius bar has heard every excuse in the book yet?

You could try honesty. Or you could live with your mistakes, sounds like the phone works fine still?

5. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

If it doesn't look beat up then take it in and buy applecare+. You can figure the rest out:)

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

$269.

and if it is clearly damaged it is clearly damaged. Doesn't matter to them if you did it, your little brother or whatever story you make up

----------

No guarantee they will allow AC to be bought on it if there are visible scratches.

7. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Put it in a case like you knew you should have done. Learn from your lesson and buy the case next time when you buy the phone. Nobody plans to drop their phone so be a good Boy Scout and be prepared.

You don't know it now but it is a good lesson learned.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

:mad:I don't like that you want to make up a problem with it:mad:

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You could learn to:

a) Look after your stuff.
    b) Take responsibility when you don't do a).

Apple's 30 day exchange doesn't count if you've damaged the phone. Best thing you can do? Tell the truth, ask (nicely) if, because it's so new, you can add AC+ and use your first claim.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

You could bring it to apple and say what you're gonna say then listen to what the genius has to say. As others have said, they might cut you a break if you purchase applecare and use an incident to replace the phone.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah this is a good system.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Another great idea:)

14. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

It is still not too late to add insurance. Pay the $10 to add insurance on your wireless plan. Make a claim.....pay the deductible.