Dropped my phone and the screen popped out!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Petoz, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Pretty much as the title says. I was on the phone, holding it between my shoulder and ear (not the best idea to start). While packing my bag to rush off, I banged my laptop on my head and the iphone fell to the floor face down.

When I picked it up the screen had gone white and the phone call cut off shortly after. I then realised the screen had popped out from the bezel at the top of the phone. Oops!

It clicked back in ok, but the screen has been white since. Dead iphone! Fortunately, I have insurance with o2, and have made the claim. Not so fortunate is the fact they are out of stock of the iphone 3G 8GB, so i am without a phone and playing a waiting game.

Anyone else had to wait for out of stock phones from O2? Any idea how long i'll be waiting for?

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

His carrier

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

A carrier in the UK.

5. army91c macrumors 6502a

6. ant131531 macrumors member

Lol i laughed at the title....Your screen pops out..that's halarious.

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Yeah... A real side splitter. :rolleyes:

8. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I was gonna say pics or didnt happen but you said you've already sent it to o2. What a shame.

I've never heard of such a thing. I would have thought the 3GS would do this due to its poor build quality but not the 3G. Most odd.
    Just out of interest how did you get insurance from O2? I asked them and they said they don't offer anything like that. I'm not on contract with them though.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm intrigued, how did you bang your laptop on your head?

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, that also caught my eye… :eek:

11. pauliphone macrumors regular

Insurance with o2 is £7.50 p/mth, I signed up for it when I got my iPhone, but I don't think they let you add it on after (guessing cos they reckon you will break your phone then get the insurance and say it broke after you took out the insurance).

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

bummer man, that's aweful. How did you hit your laptop on your head?

13. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

I haven't sent it back to o2 yet. I have just put in the claim. So I still have it, and the screen still pops out. I have attached pictures.

I don't really know! I was obviously having a special moment. I was in a rush to pack my bag, and it was my work laptop, so wasn't as careful as I would be normally. The bag was on a high table, so lifting the laptop i managed to hit my head. :confused:

Still no word on how long it might take to get the replacement. My work phone is rubbish. I miss the iphone already! It's only been a day! :(

Attached Files:

14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The exact same thing happened to my iPhone a couple of weeks ago. I had a 16GB 3G, which I dropped and the display came out. Looked exactly like yours does.

I also have insurance, so called O2 and reported the claim. They said they had no stock of the 16GB 3G as it has since been replaced by the 3GS and offered to send me a brand new (retail boxed) 3GS by next day delivery.

I reported the damage on the Tuesday afternoon and had my new 3GS by Wednesday afternoon. Excellent service.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Let us know how the new 3GS works for you OP.....

16. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

Unfortunately I have not been offered the 3GS. Instead I have been placed on the 'out of stock list' and will be contacted when the 8GB 3GB comes back into stock.

I think i'll call tomorrow and chase the claim. I pay for insurance, so surely should not be without a phone for long. I will see how that goes and see what they say. Hopefully they will be good like they were for the previous poster.

17. Petoz thread starter macrumors 6502

Petoz

Just picked up my new 3G from the courier depot. Unfortunately no 3GS, but a new phone finally! Just a few days without it and I was lost. And here was me considering moving to the pre when my contract ends. I'm not sure I could cope! :D