iPad Dropped New iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nickinev, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Nickinev, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

Nickinev macrumors newbie

My new iPad is less than two weeks old and I dropped it face down. It has a crack across the top right corner. I didn't get the apple care - is it too late to get it now, or should I just go down to the apple store to see what they can do for me?

Thanks in advance,
    Nicole

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers :(

Yes its too late on two counts.
    1. That's considered fraud since you are trying to get apple to pay for the replacement for your own mistake.
    2. Buying applecare plus after the fact requires an examination by the apple folks so they'll see the damage. They do this because people try #1

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They can tell you how much you can pay for a screen replacement. Can you get Apple Care+ today? Technically, you probably can but it is actually very wrong to do that. It is like getting into a wreck in your car and then buying insurance and making a claim. It's called insurance fraud. You'll do what you want to do, but since you dropped it, I would go find out how much an out of warranty replacement will cost or a screen replacement. Maybe they'll just swap it for you if you're nice and honest.

4. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Sorry that happened. It's probably too late to buy a warranty from Apple. You could buy a warranty from squaretrade.

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

If you used a credit card for purchase, like American Express, Visa Signature, and others, 90 days of accidental damage and theft protection is provided along with extending the manufacturer warranty.

6. macduke Suspended

macduke

Is that a case on the side? Hard to tell, but if so it looks like you're using a case that doesn't have much edge protection. I would recommend getting a case that has a small lip that wraps over the edge of the screen by a small amount. It's a good investment for something with a screen this big that is very prone to breaking.

Personally I've seen far more broken iPad screens around campus than broken iPhone screens. My boss has broken her iPad screen multiple times, lol. Her first one she dropped and had a crack going through the middle, but it wasn't too bad. Then she dropped it again a few months later and it had cracks everywhere. She gets a new one and a few months after that she drops it on the corner and dents it slightly and puts a diagonal crack across the thing. One of my other coworkers broke hers right after getting it but she hasn't gotten a replacement, so then she puts it in this really fat case to protect it (I mean BIG), even though her screen has multiple spiderweb cracks. I think at that point I would just go caseless? My grandma dropped hers when getting out of the car at a hotel and she wasn't using the case I bought her which had edge protection so it cracked the screen. I told her to take it to the Apple Store to get it replaced (I would have taken it but I live halfway across the state) but instead my grandpa takes it to this local place that is cheaper and has some cheesy "i" name that apparently fixes iPads. They've had to take it there multiple times and the glass still doesn't feel right nor does the home button. The first time the glass was all crooked and pulling away from the body. The glass seems way too thick as there is a lip around the edge and the home button is sunk in. Additionally the replacement screen doesn't have an oleophobic coating. So whatever you do, don't take it anywhere but the Apple Store or a certified Apple repair location!

7. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Unless I'm wrong, you might be in luck. It looks like a hairline crack to me, which is covered under their warranty. You could see what they say

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You are wrong. Damage caused by accident is not covered. Read the warranty.

9. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

House insurance if you don't want to pay for the repair price. That, or sell it as a barely used, as good as new iPad on EBay :p

Jk

10. Nickinev thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it in today and it was covered under the warranty! They replaced it for free. I was so happy. Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it!

Nicole

----------

Yes, the case is not very good. It was a temporary case (big mistake). I have another (better) case on order.

Nicole

11. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Nice!, glad it worked out for you!

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Maybe you should go play lotto. This is your lucky day!

13. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

That's awesome! You should consider hitting Apple back by purchasing AppleCare.

14. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

ha, ha. seriously though--why does anyone buy used electronics on ebay?

15. Rockies macrumors 6502

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

No, you are wrong. Apple will replace an iPad with a single crack in the screen, regardless of how it got there. It happened to my wife, and a few others on this forum over the years.

17. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Do you mind if I ask why the warranty covered this? I was under the impression any drop by the user was not covered.

It should say on the recipt they gave you, please let us know for future reference.

Thanks, and glad to hear it was replaced.

18. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Why does anyway buy tech second hand is what I want to know haha

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Neat

20. melman101 macrumors 68030

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

OP, contact your credit card company ASAP. Most major CC like Visa or AMEX either have a 45 or 90 day accidental insurance at no cost which will cover that. :)

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You are not very lucky just because someone at Apple store think you are too pretty! :apple:

23. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

This! :D

So happy for you and that you were honest with them! :D

24. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This is the perfect answer :).

25. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

Dropped New iPad Air 2

I've never dropped any of my devices. I don't see how people can be so clumsy