Dropped Phone in Beer!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chopper9, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Chopper9 macrumors regular

Chopper9

So there I was at the Indians VS A's game with my buddies on my birthday. One buddy treated us all to a round of nice tall beers. I went to check my phone cause it vibrated... probably a birthday wish from a family member... and WOOOOOP!!!!! It slips out of my hand and perfectly into the cup of beer being held in the other hand. Couldnt have done it again it 100 tries.

Anyway... dried it out... and nothing.

Won't power up... won't charge... seems to be bricked.

Question is....

Is there anything I can do? Would it be covered under warranty? Would American Express protect me? Its less than 90 days old.

Man... this sucks.

To make matters worse... the Tribe got beat 4-9!

:(

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

American Express may cover you, I'm not sure what their policies are. Apple will most likely not replace it as it is not a manufacturing defect that it got dropped into beer.

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Unless you can get something from AMEX, you're likely out of luck; Apple would definitely be able to tell that the unit was dropped into a liquid and damaged outside of their warranty. Good luck...

4. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Chances that American Express will cover it is about 99.99%.
    Chances that Apple will cover it is about 00.01%

5. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

before you take it in..

Lay it on the table and put a hairdryer on low next to it blowing into the bottom connector for an hour or two... You'd be surprised... Mine got splashed with a huge bucket of water and I thought it was dead.... I dried it out this way for a while, let it sit overnight, and the next morning I got the connect to iTunes message when I plugged it into my powerbook. I restored and everything worked until the end of the restore... It gave an error. BUT, I took it into the store and showed them it was "on" but that it wouldn't restore. They sent it in and three days later I got a new one. They didn't bother taking it apart since it was coming on I guess.

It's worth a try.

6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Put it in a large bag of rice, remove al the air out of bag leae it in there for 24 hours.....near a sunny widow......:) good luck

7. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

This works every time, IF you can find a sunny "WIDOW" who'll sit there by your phone for 24 hours, LOL.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

well THAT was clever...har

9. juxel macrumors newbie

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Stop drinking? :D

I had a similar experience with my old ipod and gatorade. I managed to get $100 for it on ebay....that maybe the best you can hope for.

11. Spanners macrumors member

I really feel for you

Gutted truely gutted....

12. Chopper9 thread starter macrumors regular

Chopper9

Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciate it!

Trying to file a claim with AMEX. Problem is.... I can't find my receipt!

Damn! If it ain't one thing its another.

13. bbydon macrumors 6502a

Would you need the receipt? they should have a record of it, which you might be able to find online or on your bill