Dropped phone in sink! help needed urgently.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jmmull123, Dec 9, 2009.

1. jmmull123 macrumors newbie

Basically i dropped my phone into my sink,it was only in there for a second,i was listening to music,it still worked.so i dried it all off,panicked,and phoned my mum to reassure myself my phone still worked. I though it worked,then i got the message about something not being compatible so change to airplane mode etc. so i then reset my iphone and now the problems have started,its currently in a bag of rice,its been turned off.however i can see the apple symbol flash up then go off.
    I know all about the implications of getting a new phone etc. I just need someone to basically tell me if there is any hope for my phone or if theyve had similar problems.
    Thank youu

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You dropped an electronic device into liquid and when you were done retrieving it from said liquid you went ahead and used it instead of turning it off? That is tough luck, I am really sorry that you had such an accident.

When you drop something that has power, wires, etc you should always turn it off and let it dry for no less than 48 hours. At that point you likely can try to turn it on and see if it will work. The fact that it worked after you dropped it into liquid could be a good sign or you could have done more damage.

No one can assure you everything is ok unless the see the phone, no matter how urgent you say this request is.

BTW your warranty is voided.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have no hope, since you kept the phone on. So, get out whatever money it costs in your country for an out of warranty replacement ($199 in the U.S., $229 in Canada) and get a new phone. The chances you'll now be able to fix things with the rice trick were seriously compromised when you kept turning it on.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try the rice,let it sit and dry for a few days and hope for the best.
    Thats all you can do besides getting a replacement.
    And next time be more carefull with electronics near anything liquid.

5. iPhoneStore.com macrumors newbie

The rice and silica pack trick worked in 2 separate instances with me, even after the phone had been used.

One of my customers dropped their phone into the toilet, pulled it out, and freaked out. So he contacted me and I told him to just send me the phone. Told him not to expect much, but I will do what I can. So I bough a few dozen silica packets, wrapped rice in tissues, and put in sealed ziploc bags. All in all, it worked like a charm.

However, I will give you fair warning... to do this properly, you have to take the phone apart. You need to separate the screen/digitizer from the motherboard/battery, and put them into 2 separate bags.

Good luck! If you need advice just shoot me a PM and I will try to help however I can.