Dropped phone in water, fixed it...sort of

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Vorpike, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Vorpike macrumors newbie

So I dropped my phone in water, and followed steps online (disassembling and drying each part), and when I tried charging it, I see the charging logo, but it's very, very faint. I left it charging over night but it's still stuck at that logo...does anyone have any experience with this? What do I do?!

2. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Dry some more and than get a new phone and don't get it near water.:confused:

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's probably dead. Take it into Apple and pay for an out of warranty replacement?

4. chalkdustfairy macrumors newbie

chalkdustfairy

I hope this helps.

However, mine was soaked in isoprophyl alcohol. It won't open, so I asked a friend who told me to bury my phone in a tub full of rice. According to my friend, the rice absorbs the liquid.

I did this. Left my phone for 10 hours. It worked.

On the other hand, alcohol has a different make up compared to water.

5. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

It could always need a bit more time to dry, how long has it been? It probably wasn't a good idea to charge it again after you saw a faint logo, that sounds like it might send it phone heaven. I would have put it back in rice to dry for 2-3 more days. Heck, when it happened to me I left the bag of rice to heat up sitting in a hot car all day. So I say wait, don't charge it, and cross your fingers. Worse case scenario you're out $200 something for out-of-warranty replacement.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Some time ago my daughter accidentally dropped her phone in the bath! She dried it, best as she could and then went over it with a hair drier - apparently the worst thing one can do! As the 'phone was dead as the proverbial doornail, she left it and continued to use a spare.

About a month or so later, she decided to take the 'phone to the local Apple store to buy a new one (it's a 4C and well out of warranty), and hoping she could get something off the purchase price for the old one. She explained the situation. The genius tried to switch it on and, lo and behold, it booted up! The genius had a look inside and said there was some evidence of water ingress and it couldn't be guaranteed that the 'phone could fail again.

Approx 2 moths have passed and the 'phone is still working fine! So, the moral of this story is "if you drop your 'phone in water, don't give up hope - there may life in the old dog yet! :)