Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lunabee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
So I dropped my iphone in the toilet a couple of days ago and I tried the rice trick. Its seems all dried now,so I plugged my phone into the changer and the apple sign showed up. Now what should I keep it plugged in or put the phone back in the rice.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Well if it works and seems dry, try to see if all features properly function. If they don't, toss it back in the bag for another day or so.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
So I dropped my iphone in the toilet a couple of days ago and I tried the rice trick. Its seems all dried now,so I plugged my phone into the changer and the apple sign showed up. Now what should I keep it plugged in or put the phone back in the rice.

Seems? How long did you put it in rice? At least a couple days, IMO.

Anyway, there's no point in putting it back in rice once you started charging it. Try a DFU restore and see if it starts back up.

Edit: Misread your post. Just see if it comes on okay. If not, then do a DFU. Otherwise, you're SOL, IMO, and will need to go to the store and pay $199 to get a replacement.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If u want to hurry things up put the rice in a hot 200'c oven for fifteen minutes. Whilt it's in there get an air tight container and a dry dishcloth and 5-10 tablespoons of salt. Put the salt in the bottom of the container. Take the rice out the oven then put that on the salt don't mix it just. On top. Put the dishcloth ontop of the rice and place your phone on top of the cloth. Seal the container then place in a nice warm place for 24 hours. U should find your phone will be fine after though give it a clean with some steri wipes before use.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
If u want to hurry things up put the rice in a hot 200'c oven for fifteen minutes. Whilt it's in there get an air tight container and a dry dishcloth and 5-10 tablespoons of salt. Put the salt in the bottom of the container. Take the rice out the oven then put that on the salt don't mix it just. On top. Put the dishcloth ontop of the rice and place your phone on top of the cloth. Seal the container then place in a nice warm place for 24 hours. U should find your phone will be fine after though give it a clean with some steri wipes before use.

Sounds like something household hacker would say! :p

lunabee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I've had the phone charging for a while and it's just rebooting over and over.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
How long is a couple of days? Since you have already turned on the phone, try plugging the phone into your computer to see if it attempts to sync.

lunabee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I had the phone in rice for 4 days. I have a problem tho the computer I synced my phone with isn't working right now coz of a virus.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I had the phone in rice for 4 days. I have a problem tho the computer I synced my phone with isn't working right now coz of a virus.

Sounds like you can't get a break, huh? Anyway, IDK if you're going to get any further, but try to do a DFU restore after you get rid of the virus. Otherwise, you need to go to Apple and pay $199 for a new one (out of warranty replacement for water damage).

lunabee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
So I connected my iphone to my computer(I got it working again) and the phone wont show up on itunes. I tried to do a DFU restore but Idk if I'm doing it right.

lunabee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
So I started to restore my phone but then I got an error message. Is this a bad sign?

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
How old is your phone and did you purchase it with a credit card? My 3GS unfortunately took a swim last night and it works, but the back light won't come on and the sleep/wake button doesn't work. My iPhone was purchased with an American Express card and AMEX has 90 day purchase protection. They will cover accidental damage and will reimburse me the original price of the iPhone and I've got a genius appt. tomorrow to get the $199 out of warranty refurb. Other credit cards may have similar programs. If you charged it a credit card and iPhone isn't too old check card policy to see if you can get any hep there. Good Luck!

jonjondotcom131

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
mine was in a pool for about 20 sec. and i did the rice and silica gel thing for about 4 days. i pressed the home button and nothing and then i plugged it in to a charger and everything is fine but the screeen is extremely dim and the hold button does not work. FML

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.