Dropped rMBP seems fine... what can I do to make sure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loumi02, Nov 18, 2016.

1. loumi02 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I put my 2015 15" rMPB to sleep and then put it my bag, but it slid out and dropped onto the tiled floor before I could react. It was about 2-3' from the floor. There are no dings or cracks anywhere, but the screen looks slightly askew compared to the base when closed (see picture)

It appears to be working fine, I've run disk utility on it and it found no errors. Can I do anything else to make sure it's okay? I am super worried.

Thanks so much,

An idiot

Attached Files:

2. fate0311 macrumors 6502

I hate to say it but it is definitely jacked up from that photo.

3. loumi02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I know that's not normal and it wasn't like that before it fell. My point is this doesn't appear to have affected how the laptop is working, but I'm not sure and was asking for advice

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You shouldn't have to worry about data loss or anything like since a drop from that distance shouldn't really mess with a SSD too bad. You've obviously damaged the structure of the machine itself and there's really no way for anyone here to know whether that caused any problems to the board or perhaps even the cable that connects the screen to the board unless it starts messing up.

Might be worthwhile to schedule a Genius Bar appointment and let them run diagnostics.

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Can you "convince" it back into shape gently? Hard to tell what corner is in the pic apart from it's not the corner where the mag-safe is lol.

6. loumi02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't unfortunately, the magsafe corner isn't as askew as the front bit (the one on the picture), but pretty much all corners have been affected since i think the entire screen slid slightly to the left. I've tried to charge my laptop and it's charging fine, no heating of the cable or anything, the battery also appears to be working fine so fingers crossed.

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm really sorry to hear that this happened. Yes, it's a bummer, but it can happen to any of us. Don't' knock yourself for it. The good news is that you don't have a spinning hard drive inside. SSDs are super tough and as long as everything is working fine, it's probably nothing more than an alignment issue from the impact. If the top part of the clamshell is not loose, then everything should be ok. If it is loose or has play in it, then it might get worse over time in terms of alignment.

8. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

It's likely a bent display hinge. Just live with it. I had something similar happen to a 2009 MBP I had a long time ago. I just kept it as-is and the machine lasted me 3 years without issues (it was still 100% functioning when I sold it in 2012 for my old 2012 rMBP). Consider it a beauty mark and reminder to be extra careful in the future. Also be proud that you own a machine built to take a beating.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    Here she is in all her hideous glory

Attached Files: