Dropped rMBP - won't boot to OS X

mfbernstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I cleverly managed to drop my rMBP 13" (2013) about 2 feet onto a hard floor last week. Since then, I've not been able to boot OS X Sierra successfully, either from the internal drive, or the bootable backup I created a few weeks before. The system isn't entirely dead - it will boot to Recovery mode, and it will boot Linux (from a live USB), but when booting OS X, it hangs at the Apple logo. I've tried enabling verbose output and booting safe mode, and the hang is after it has initialized the graphical display (i.e. console output has disappeared).

I'm assuming that this is a hardware issue, but the fact that it will boot into Recovery and Linux seems odd. Any ideas/suggestions for troubleshooting would be appreciated. Thanks!

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
Have you held down the “D” key during boot to trigger the internal diagnostics routine?

mfbernstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks for the various suggestions.

Internal diagnostics test found nothing.

After ordering the penta-lobe screwdriver (why does Apply insist on using weird non-standard screws?), I followed the iFixit disassembly guide and removed the lower case. Didn't find anything obviously amiss, but for good measure disconnected most of the connectors that I could find, and then reconnected them. After re-assembling, system boots up fine and has been working great since. I suspect the fall must have slightly loosened one of the connectors.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001