Dropped/skipped frames while DSLR recording video in motion?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jbonante, Nov 2, 2014.

1. jbonante macrumors member

Hello,

My problem is while recording with my Canon 70D in motion on automatic settings it seems to skip frames when i walk with it.

Here's what i tried.

First thought was maybe lighting was effecting it but then it happened outside in bright daylight.

Then thought maybe it was the autofocusing not keeping up but then it happened on manual focusing.

Thought it was recording in 24fps so i switched to 30fps and it still did it.

The only time i can't get it to do it is when i'm in manual settings.

Could it be: the camera? the lease? the card speed (10) lighting? autofocus?

Here's the goal... i will be filming virtual tours for local realty company and i planned on using my DSLR on my glidecam HD 2000. While in testing i ran into this issue.

Any thoughts?

2. ColdCase, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have a 70D, great camera.

I see none of your issues, video is solid regardless of motion.

I would first suspect problems with recording on the SD card. I use SanDisk Extreme SD cards rated at 45MB/s in both 32 and 16GB sizes without issue. The extreme pro 95MBps cards are also not an issue. Motion requires more data rate as there are lots of changes between frames.

Awhile ago I read an article about wide ranges in performance of 10 cards, there is more to it than that. I'll have to dig around and find it.

If its not the card, it could be the card reader or the camera itself. Try a different computer, different camera if you can.

3. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

How are you viewing the footage?

Are you noticing the skipped frames while viewing on the camera? or after the media is copied to your computer?

Also.. can you post up an example so we can view it?

Another note, once you get the issue figured out, I would stick with manual as best as you can, and 24fps.. 24 is a more polished look.

4. jbonante thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!

I see the skipped frame while recording then of course in payback on both the camera and computer.

I've tried 2 other of the exact same cameras. Same issue. The cards are all the same. I'd have to do some research on speeds.

Shooting Manual is the only way around this issue so far.

Here's what i found elsewhere:

"I have just read elsewhere that the same problem happens on various canon cameras. It is to do with the aperture adjusting when going from light to dark.

So the answer is to shoot in manual!"

I'll try to post a link when i upload some footage.

Thanks again