Dropped the MBP - Stupid Me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaron.lee2006, Feb 25, 2008.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

So one of the guys in my math class today accidentally knocked my bag and it fell to the ground denting the bottom left and top left corners of my MBP. The dent is very noticeable and has taken some heavy damage. I know it isn't covered by AppleCare, so what kind of costs am I looking at here for a repair?:mad:

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

if enough to buy a bat and beat that kid over the head with it for knocking over a Mac.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

absolutely-- there is another post on here where someone was recently quoted almost $500 for the bottom case

4. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Man this sucks, maybe I should just learn to live with it?
    It also doesn't help that I have OCD :( I'm going to look at it and touch it every minute!!

5. mshepherd macrumors regular

you can get the bottom case off of ebay for around $80, just buy one and swap it out.

6. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Or you can thank that kid into giving you a reason to buy the next MBP update :apple: or you can always just beat the kid to death and hide his body....that works to. :D

7. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

lol no, the kids my friend I wouldn't even suggest any violent ideas. Do I really have any other option here? And no, I won't fix it with instructions and parts from iFixit.

8. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

How about some pictures, I have rubber malleted with felt between the hammer and case many MBP's back into shape. If you can bend it out of shape by dropping you can bend it back to a reasonable shape too. (not mine fortunately, i haven't dropped any of mine yet)

Regardless It truly depends on how bad the damage is.

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I mean i think there's good news to this story.

I'm guessing that your computer still works, right?

If so, I think your best bet is to use one of the 3rd party repair places like pbmedic (there are others too, but i don't remember their names). They should have extra MBP chassis parts laying around, and they'll probably charge you a couple hundred for them. Probably cheaper than Apple though. Let us know how you end up getting it fixed. I'm very curious.

10. nial.k macrumors newbie

i dropped my MBP last week. got dented, not too much though ... looks horrible .. (or maybe its just me!) nearly the same as your situation except that i should beat my self up.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

bag

Oh, and buy a better bag, man. Any good laptop bag should protect a laptop in a fall from a table or desk.

12. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

I second this, seriously. If you're going to tote around something that expensive, invest a little in a bag that'll protect it.

I do feel sorry for you though, OP. I hope you get it fixed for a reasonable price.

13. alawrence101 macrumors member

It cost $600 to repair when one of my friends dropped mine (he paid).

14. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Um, what sort of bag is built to protect a laptop from a 3-4 foot fall? I don't think anyone advertises that, as I can't think of anything that would actually offer that much protection. Bags are padded to protect against bumps, scratches, and maybe falls of 1-2 feet. I mean, just think about those sleeves. As if half an inch of neoprene will offer any protection. Most bags don't have that much more. Don't think there's much you can do except prevent your laptop from high falls. Though some backpacks that have a suspended laptop compartment probably protect better.

15. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

easy! bubble plastic from staples or office depot.:D

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

That's what I'm referring to. Kensington had some great bags. Sure they're expensive, but what's $150 to protect a $2000 computer?

My condolences as well. I had this happen the second day I had my 15" powerbook, except the dent was smaller. For some dumb reason I couldn't wait another two days (bag took longer to ship) to take my laptop to class.

17. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I did something similar not too long ago. I had put my laptop in it's bag (which wasn't a very good bag back then; I've upgraded since the event) behind the drivers seat of my car. I'm pretty sure it happened when I slid the drivers seat back and it got "crunched" in between. Might not be as bad as your drop, but I was pretty furious. I'm a protective freak as well and it bothered me horribly for awhile. Now I forget about it... I asked about it at our local Apple reseller and they said it'd be best to get used to unless you want to cough up a lot of money :(

Attached Files:

18. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Mines a lot worse than that so consider yourself lucky. I've decided not to have it fixed. It's not that big of a deal. It is fully functional and it's not overly horrible.

19. pinchez macrumors member

If this happened at home you might have been able to claim off you home contents insurance. ;)

20. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

actually some credit cards (amex and maybe others) can cover this if you used them to pay for it originally

21. GCY macrumors regular

If your MBP suffers from a hardware issue, Apple might replace the case for you free of charge, under warranty of course.

I took my MB to apple for the screen flickering problem like 6 months ago and apple fixed the costmetic damage(results from dropping the MB) for me. I didn't even ask them to.

22. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

that seems really lucky-- some store would say the fall caused the problem and not cover it-- did you go to a store or send it in?

23. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

24. GCY macrumors regular

I went in the store for hardware repair(screen flickering) and apple also replace the whole casing.:)

I think my macbook was so badly beaten that when apple opened it up for repair, they can't put the orginal casing back on.:D